Chronic back up from house trap

Old 03-07-19, 01:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chronic back up from house trap

I replaced every pipe in this old house built back in 1911 thinking I was in good shape but nooooooooo, Once the new toilet was installed we realized that there was water coming up from the basement floor. The main pipe which collects all the water draining from the house was cracked under the cement floor. My plumber then replaced it with new piping going from just under the floor at a gradual pitch to the drain in the corner of the house bypassing the old cracked pipe. I thought all was good until I rented it and after a few weeks sewer was backing up onto the cellar floor. I left the drain pipe open down there because my french drain drains water which leaks into the basement into that drain. The city came out to unclog the drain which didn't work so I called the plumber and he also unclogged the trap and ran a camera all the way through to the street which he found to be clear. But it keeps backing up regardless of how many times I have had it cleaned out. It worked for many years before I came along. What the heck! The only option now is to dig the darn thing up and hope we can attach a new trap to the old pipe. If not I'll have to dig the whole thing up from outside. One thought is to plug up the open drain that drains water from the french drain which is also where the sewer water comes in from. I'll need a sump pump if I do this. Any theories out there as to why it keeps clogging up?

Old 03-07-19, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,598 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's kind of hard to understand what exactly you have going on there. You had a plumber that cleaned ?, snaked and used a camera. Didn't he have anything positive to add to the problem ?

It sounds like you have the French drain and the sanitary sewer connected ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: