Can basement drain tiles & floor drains be snaked out?

Old 03-13-19, 06:57 AM
Can basement drain tiles & floor drains be snaked out?

I think I've read or heard this can be done--but how? I've never discovered any sort of a cleanout.

I had a bit of water perk up from a tiled-over drain in my basement due I assume to the spring thaw. Never happened in the 25 years I've lived here. The sump pump is working but I don't know if the pipes are clear leading to the pit. I have sandy soil & good drainage and typically don't have water flow into the pit unless there's an unusually long and severe storm. But right now the ground is frozen and the snow is melting off the roof & gutters.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-19, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, floor drains can be snaked out. You go in through the drain by removing the grate.

Old 03-14-19, 06:21 AM
My basement is tiled and only the one drain in the utility room is not covered.
What about the drain tiles?

Would I be wasting a service call to have a plumber out for this?

Old 03-14-19, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, drain piping can be snaked or jetted. If it's rigid PVC it's easier but corrugated black plastic can be done as well if the operator is careful.

Do you have a pressure washer? If so there are jetter kits for them. Many kits come with a 25 or 50' hose and jetter tip. Luckily a residential sized pressure washer isn't powerful enough to damage most piping so you can go crazy.

Old 03-15-19, 06:38 AM
Is this a pretty common task for a typical plumber or do I need to find some specialty guy with a little robotic scout that can take the snake from a single floor drain over to the perimeter pipes?

I really can't imagine how this is done and none of the answers describe how the 2 systems are accessed from a single drain.

Old 03-15-19, 07:10 AM
Also unknown is whether the floor drain connects to the subfloor drain tiles. Actually they should not connect; the floor drain should connect to the plumbing drain pipe. Sometimes the floor drain connects to nothing and the water collected just soaks into the ground under the house and should not be in large quantity.

Old 03-15-19, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Snaking a line is pretty common though not all plumbers do it so you need to ask your person if it's the type of thing they do. Jetting is a bit more uncommon but I prefer it as there is reduced risk of damaging black corrugated drain pipe.

Old 03-16-19, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It all depends on how old the drain tiles are and how they were installed. Many times people didn't think of ever needing to snake them, so there may be no easy way into the pipes. But if the contractor thought ahead, there should be a cleanout to be able to get into the pipes.

You also mention a sump, it's possible to snake or jet from there too.