Bathtub odor

Old 05-26-01, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
My house is 20 yrs. old and when the house was bulit, a room in the basement had been stubbed for installing a sink, stool, and tub. The floor is cement. We just bought the house and remodeled the bath installing a sink, stool and bathtub (sets on the floor). The problem we have now is that a sewer odor comes from the tub occasionally. When the bath is stubbed in the basement cement floor, is the trap located under the cement floor? If not, then I know the problem, no trap. There was not enough room to install a trap when setting the tub on the floor. Any ideas?
Bob

Old 05-27-01, 12:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

In order to have passed the Building Inspection when the home was built, it should have had a trap buried under the tub drain stub-out. If the odor is only "occasionally", then I believe that there is a trap there.
You probably have a venting problem. When flushing the basement toilet or running the sink, the water flow will create its own vent by siphoning water out of the nearest trap (tub?), if the vent is clogged.
Check the vent pipe(s) on the roof to make sure that they're all clear of birdnests, leaves, and debris. Clean out all that you can reach, and flush the stack with a water hose sprayer.
You may have to use a plumber's snake long enough to reach from the roof to the bottom of the basement stack and snake it out from top to bottom, and then flush it with the hose.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: