Hot water heater problems

Old 05-26-01, 07:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

This is a two part question. The bottom heating element in my hot water heater went out. I cut the power, drained it (or so I thought) and removed the old element. I took it in to Home Depot to get a replacement to discover that I have a commercial hot water heater in my house. Upon returning home, I discovered that the water had been draining from the heater element hole and it wasn't right after I removed the element. Needless to say I have a big mess. Also, it took about 4 hours to drain the thing to level I did.

1. Why does it take so long to drain and why would so much water come out of the element hole after having finished draining?

2. What is the approximate cost difference (electric bill)in a typical 240V home hot water heater and a 480V commercial one?

Thanks for any assistance on this matter.

Jay

Old 05-27-01, 12:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

1. You need to open a nearby hot water faucet for air to allow the water heater tank to drain quickly out of the bottom spigot. Otherwise, it will do just like yours did. Without opening a faucet, it's almost like holding your finger over the end of a straw, except for gravity and the weight of the water. It will slowly gurgle out.
2. Post that question in the Electrical forum for a faster answer.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-27-01, 05:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Silly me! Thanks for the reply Old Guy. I actually finally figured out your reply by going and looking for any emails about hot water heaters over the last 60 days. You had a couple of emails saying to do that so I did. BUT.....

.....it is hard to get air through when you also shut off the hot water valve like I did!!! So, the open sink valve did me no good for a couple of hours. Main reason I had it shut is I finally discovered that they had the red valve on the cold line and the blue valve on the hot line! Go figure.

Again, thanks for the assistance and I love this website!

Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: