major plumbing problem

Old 05-27-01, 04:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

my plumbers were replacing sewer pipe from my house, in phoenix, to the main drain in the alley when they discovered that the iron drainpipe under the house is cracked! they are jackhammering the concrete floor where the drain exits-but we have no idea how far the crack extends!!! any experience with these kinds of problems?? they come back monday to resume!!

Old 05-27-01, 05:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
My Two Cents

Hello kvilter and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

I am not a plumber but you pose an interesting situation. The answer to which is to allow the plumbers to complete the job as needed for obvious reasons.

You asked about prior experience with this type of problem. Many homeowners and plumbers have found this condition to exist under the same exact circumstances. This is what the heavy duty plumbing professionals do best and know how to correct properly.

Like yourself and the thousands of others, I too have had the same condition in other properties owned. I call it one of the surprising "JOYS" of being a homeowner...

Old 05-27-01, 10:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Some drain cleaning companies and plumbers have video cameras for inspecting drain lines to assess clogs, roots, and damage.
Hiring one so equipped may be less expensive than destroying concrete.
However, your plumbers will have to jackhammer it out anyway to repair the cast iron line, and should only go back as far as necessary.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-27-01, 06:23 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
the camera is a good idea,commonly cast iron pipe will have a raised seam that can look like a crack to. also erosion
and the scouring effect of water can wash the bottom of the pipe away resulting in a replacment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: