PVC cement too far gone?

Old 03-26-19, 02:02 PM
S
Received 25 Votes on 17 Posts
PVC cement too far gone?

I have an older can of PVC cement. It says not to use if it's turned to jelly. Well, it's more like a thick syrup. Definitely not as fluid as it was when it started life, but not grape jelly from the grocery store either. I tested it on some scrap PVC and it does weld them together, but I can't test the strength of it. I just need it for a few outdoor landscape drainage (non-pressure) joints. Think it's too far gone for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-19, 02:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Since it's for drain lines, I'd probably chance it but no way would I use it for a pressure/supply line!
I don't know why I can't use up a whole can of PVC cement, they always seem to go bad before it's used up .... unless I knock the can over an empty the contents on the ground

Old 03-26-19, 03:07 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I've learned to buy the smallest can available for what I think I'll need in the foreseeable future because the shelf life isn't too good once it's opened. Probably not the best advice, but, given the project, I might go ahead and use it to get things situated, then wrap the joints with Gorilla tape just to be sure they stay until everything is backfilled. And I don't use it often enough to be able to remember, especially since I can't tell you what I had for dinner last night, but, depending on what you're calling drainage pipes, there is a different glue anyway, not the regular PVC cement.

Old 03-26-19, 03:24 PM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
I have had the same can of PVC cement since Feb. 2014 and it's still as liquid as the day I bought it. Since I don't use it often I vacuum seal it with one of those food saver machines it stays good until I need it again. For some reason I always need it when all the stores are closed so bagging it up has been a blessing at times.

Old 03-26-19, 04:14 PM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
I vacuum seal it with one of those food saver machines
Tell me you do the same for gallon cans of paint and you get the Grand DIY trophy for the month!

Old 03-26-19, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
Vacuum sealing is a good idea.

If the glue has jellied or gone syrupy it's because the component that melts the PVC has pretty much evaporated. For outdoor drainage use it should be ok. The joints will take longer to set and will not be as strong as with new glue.

Old 03-26-19, 04:56 PM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Tell me you do the same for gallon cans of paint and you get the Grand DIY trophy for the month!
Well actually I have honestly done that too! I transferred a gallon of paint into 2 Yuban plastic coffee cans ( so I could get them into the bags I have ) Labeled them with all the information on the lids with a silver sharpie and it is doing fine also. Boy I can't wait to get the Grand DIY trophy!!

Old 03-26-19, 08:05 PM
S
Received 25 Votes on 17 Posts
I guess I'll just pick up a fresh can. After a little more and stirring, thick syrup may have been an optimistic description. It would probably be fine, but I'll be kicking myself in the butt if I have to dig this stuff up over a $5 can of cement.

Maybe I'll give the vacuum seal trick a try too. I usually only need it for one or two fittings every few years, so even the smallest can is way more than I need.

Old 03-27-19, 02:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
The smallest can I can find locally is 8 oz. Didn't they use to sell a smaller can than that or is my memory failing me? I hate throwing away a can that is 3/4 full, I don't have anything to vacuum seal stuff with.

Old 03-27-19, 08:15 AM
Received 42 Votes on 35 Posts
I don't have anything to vacuum seal stuff with.
You could try storing it upside down so the product inside would seal against any vapor migration through the cap threads. I haven't tried it, I don't know if it would work. I think I did read once that storing paint that way would keep it longer.

For non-pressure applications (drainage, electrical) you might even be a able to thin the jellied cement a little with PVC cleaner (that is also a solvent).