Copper to Pex

Old 04-10-19, 05:20 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper to Pex

I have an older house that has all 1/2" water lines hot and cold. I want to bump them up to 3/4 at the valve but I do not know if that will affect the water pressure. I plan on redoing my waterlines and I would like the availability of 3/4" multi-port pex fittings which would help reduce the amount of 1/2" fittings and finagling I would have to do. Does anyone know if going from 1/2" to 3/4" on a 1/2" line from the city would affect my pressure?

Old 04-10-19, 05:45 AM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
That would be a first for me to see just 1/2 main line from the street.
You would get more pressure for just a few seconds then it will drop off unless all the lines where 3/4".
A simple way to picture this, try standing on a 5/8 garden hose and see what happens.

Old 04-10-19, 05:53 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick feedback. Somewhere back in a crawlspace where I can't get to years ago they replaced everything with 1/2" copper. Whoever did it was not a professional I have places where they didn't have a 90 so they just bent the pipe into a working shape and couldn't solder worth a darn hints why I'm replacing it all. the water pressure is surprisingly descent and I don't have any drop off doing laundry/dishes/ showering at the same time.

Old 04-11-19, 09:47 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 176 Posts
Around here, many houses are plumbed with a 1/2" copper main coming into the house - presuming they've been upgraded from 1/2" galvanized in the last 80 years. So it's not entirely uncommon.

Upgrading to 3/4" in the house really won't get you much, and I think in some ways it would be detrimental, especially on the hot side as it will take longer for hot water to get to the fixtures.

Unless you're planning to replace your water main in the near future, I'd just stick with 1/2" throughout. You can definitely do a manifold system if you'd like, doesn't really matter one way or another.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: