Cold Faucet Not Working Properly (Airlock?)

Old 04-26-19, 08:10 AM
Cold Faucet Not Working Properly (Airlock?)

Good Day Everyone!

This is my first post. Thank you in advance for your time. Here is my situation:

This past winter the cold water pipe leading to the cold water faucet in our bathroom froze.

After unfreezing the pipe, the faucet immediately started acting "strangely"
  • The water would not go on when turning faucet (BTW, we have one of those two handle faucets - a hot side and a cold side) to the on position fully the water would NOT flow. But if I turn to the middle pressure (not fully on), the water would flow.
  • Over a few days, that resolved and a new version of the problem arose:
    • The water (again, on the cold side only) would not flow regardless of handle position.
    • I did discover that if I ran the hot water for 5 or 10 sec than turned on the cold side (with hot still flowing), the cold water side would flow and it would remain on when turning off the hot side
    • For a few minutes after turning both off, I am able to turn on both sides freely
    • After 30 min or so, the problem would return. To get the cold to flow I would need to first turn on the hot
  • I looked up information online and figured I was dealing with an airlock. I tried running the hot side while placing a wash cloth to "cap" the water flow in effort to "break the airlock" - I would be able to get the cold to flow for a while but the problem would return after 30 or so minutes.
Do you all believe this is an airlock? If so, what are the best ways to fix? If it is not an airlock, what do you think it is?

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Thank you again!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-19, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The problem sounds like a defective cartridge in the faucet.
Do you know the make and model of the faucet ?

Old 04-26-19, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Faucets don't airlock. All you do is open the faucet and the air comes out and soon you get water. You might have a cartridge clogged or jammed with debris knocked loose by the pipe freezing. I would turn off the water to the sink with the shutoffs below in the cabinet and take the cartridge out. Sometimes you can see the chunks and rinsing it out in clean water is all you need.

If you do have debris in your faucet there is a chance that there is more debris still in the line and faucet body. You can lay a towel over the disassembled faucet and turn the water back on for a second to blow the debris out.

Old 04-26-19, 09:19 AM
Old 04-26-19, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
The manual shows the assembling of the valve. It also says it has a lifetime warranty so if it turns out to be a defective ceramic cartridge... you can get a replacement for free. Be sure to turn the water off to the faucet before taking it apart.

Faucet manual (pdf)

Old 04-26-19, 09:43 AM
Thank you for passing this along. I am, however, quite limited in my DIY capacity... With that said, would you be able to suggest the best manner to access the cartridge?

Old 04-26-19, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Page 11 of the manual Pjmax linked shows you how the faucet is assembled.

1. Turn off the water to the faucet. There should be valves underneath the sink.

2. Pry the decorative cap #3 off the end of the lever to access the set screw #4 inside the handle and loosen the set screw, probably with an Allen wrench. Remove the handle.

3. It looks like #7 should slip off and underneath you will see a big nut #8 with a hex. Remove the nut.

4. Now you should be able to lift the cartridge #9/10 out. It shows that the hot and cold cartridge are different so if you disassemble both sides at the same time make sure you keep them separate.