Help with an island vent

Old 06-12-19, 02:57 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Help with an island vent

I have another disaster on my hands. I paid this company to remodel my kitchen and he removed a wall making the kitchen sink now in an island. It used to have a vent pipe running up through that wall they removed but when they removed the wall , they removed the vent pipe also. They put a "sure-vent" in the kitchen sink pipe to replace it. They also put a vent trap (?) up near the faucet.

That would probably have worked but after they finished and left, we realized the Washing Machine also uses that line and drains past the sink. There is a vent that runs through the roof at where the washing machine starts.

So as a visualization, you have the washing machine at the start of this drain line, it goes 20 feet , running under the kitchen sink (where it connects) and then another 30 feet to connect to the main sewer line.

When the washing machine drains and sends the water rushing by the kitchen sink it makes a really LOUD gurgling sound at the kitchen sink.

At first it was just annoying, but after three weeks now the line has plugged. We had it cleaned out, the gurgling persists and now we are worried that it's going to plug again.

The plumber came back out and said we needed a loop at the kitchen island, but after cutting out the wall realized that he cannot get to the main line without busting out the flooring to hook the loop back into. That's really not an option.

So now I am kind of stuck. Does anyone have any ideas if the gurgling would even be vent related seeing that there is a vent at the washing machine?

Name:  v1.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  v2.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  46.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-12-19 at 05:48 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 06-13-19, 02:07 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I think you might have a clog between your kitchen sink and main drain.

I struggled with an AAV that wasn't working well. I replaced the vent which didn't help. Turns out there was a partial clog. After snaking, it all worked perfectly.

I bet you have that same issue. The design of your drains seem to be correct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: