Sillcock leaking behind siding - tried to unscrew it from the outside

Old 06-13-19, 05:55 PM
Sillcock leaking behind siding - tried to unscrew it from the outside

Hi All,
My house was renovated before I bought it. All the plumbing was replaced with PEX tubing. My back yard spigot leaks behind the siding when turn on with a hose attached. My research has on this site and else where has lead me to believe my sillcock to the inside connection is cracked do to freezing. Yes, I didn't take the hose off the spigot for the winter... anyway, I tried to unscrew the whole sillcock assembly from the outside, it seemed to be working but, now I think its just spinning. I am guessing its the connection to the PEX and a threaded part. The connection is behind dry wall in the basement( I think). Is it time to call a plumber? Do I need to open up the drywall and hold the connection to the what I am assuming to the PEX from spinning? I would appreciate any help.

Best,

Nick

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-19, 04:55 AM
Upvotes Received: 43
Welcome. Double check the location obviously, measure from windows, maybe a gas line or dryer vent, or whatever other reference points that you can use both inside and outside, then, if there is just blank wall there, no cabinets or anything that might allow access, yes, it sounds like you will need to cut out a section of drywall. Be careful as you know there is a water line there, and could be electrical as well, but go ahead and do that and see what you have. While you are at it, this would be the time to add a ball valve someplace within the heated space, higher than the sillcock, so that you can shut it off and drain it in the fall.

Old 06-14-19, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
If your house is plumbed with PEX the threaded adapter is likely spinning with the sillcock. Like AKA Pedro mentioned you will have to cut open the wall to get access to the end of the spigot assembly. They are commonly 12" or 18" long.

And, NEVER leave anything attached to the sillcock in freezing weather. Old non-frost proof spigots could tolerate it better but doing so with a modern frost proof is a very good way to split the sillcock and have a leak inside the wall.

Old 06-14-19, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
Yes, it's almost always best to access the spigot from the basement ceiling, so measure carefully and cut open the ceiling drywall.