Slow drip at well pre-filter housing after install

Old 06-16-19, 03:34 PM
Slow drip at well pre-filter housing after install

I just installed a well pre-filter. I purchased 3/4 fittings and cut the existing 3/4 inch cpvc pipe then put the well filter housing in between then used yellow oatey all in one cement.

I tightened down both fittings well before install and used teflon tape (ran opposite to the threads).

I have a slow drip on one side no matter how much I tighten that fitting and there really isn't much flexbility to turn too much or I might snap the pipes or damage the cement.

I should have gotten some sort of flexible fitting on one side maybe? I believe that is what I had to do in another previous install years ago.

Do I need to tear it down and start over with some flexible fitting or is there some other way to wing it and make it stop leaking?

You can actually see the drip in the picture.

Thanks.

Last edited by jj94auto; 06-16-19 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-19, 10:07 PM
some sort of flexible fitting
Like a union, yes, you always want to be able to disassemble components without having to cut the pipe.

I had a new solenoid valve that I installed recently on my GEO thermal that I could not get to stop leaking at one joint using teflon tape, so after the 3rd time I used teflon paste and it sealed right up.

It's most likely not going to seal itself!

Old 06-17-19, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Teflon tape is used to lubricate metallic threads like when screwing two pieces of cast iron or brass together. Plastic fittings do not need lubrication so you don't need Teflon tape. When using Teflon tape on plastic fittings (yes, I've tested/tried it) I too often get a slow drip. Sometimes you can stop the leak with more tightening but you really risk splitting the plastic filter housing. You can try removing the fitting and Teflon and install the fitting dry or use a plastic compatible thread sealant.

Old 06-17-19, 05:29 AM
Thanks very much for the pointers.

When you say using Teflon tape on plastic is a no no, you do realize that the connection points within the plastic (all of the threads) are metal right? One is on the inside of the housing and the other is the metal fitting going into it. Not sure if you noticed that. Just wanted to be sure so I can forget Teflon tape this time.

Also, do you see any way out getting this filter housing out without cutting the pipe? I have been sleeping on it, but I figure that I'll need to at least cut one side to get it out.

....and another WAY worse question.....I just used Oatey's fix it stick around that entire area since I have never seen any leak that it could not stop (of course besides this). Any way to get it off? The fitting is completely embedded. No way to get a wrench around it.

Tempted to get a new housing, but wanted to be sure first.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-19, 06:45 AM
Maybe it's just me but I'd throw that teflon tape in the garbage, use pipe dope.

Never used Oatey's fix-it stick, can't help you there.

Old 06-17-19, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
If your filter housing has a metal insert then yes you would use teflon tape since it's a metal to metal connection. You still have to be careful about how much torque you apply when tightening. If you spin the metal insert inside the housing it's garbage and you'll need a new filter housing.