Polyurethane pipes in Florida - what should I replace them with?

Old 06-17-19, 11:18 AM
Question Polyurethane pipes in Florida - what should I replace them with?

Good Afternoon All,

I am buying a home in South FL that has poly pipes. I would like to have the poly pipes replaced before I move in. What are your thoughts with replacing them with PEX or CPVC piping? I know copper is an option, an expensive option, but I dont think that would be the best option.

Each plumber i contact either prefers PEX or CPVC, but it seems like whichever one they prefer and install, they are very against installing the other kind. I am told PEX is like poly and that CPVC can be more prone to leaks due to all the fittings that have to be glued together. I am confused on which one would be best and long lasting without any problems in HOT and humid state.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-19, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
PEX hands down! I often use CPVC but only because it's diy friendly.

Old 06-17-19, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
PEX every day of the week. One thing to watch out is that PEX cannot be used anywhere it will be exposed to sunlight.

Old 06-17-19, 04:12 PM
I 100% agree with using Pex.
About the only thing Poly has in common with Pex is there there both flexable.
CPVC would be slower to install, more fittings, and there's just nothing to be gained by using it.

Old 06-18-19, 09:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another vote for PEX. There are often arguments about whether PEX or Copper is better... but CPVC is always the ugly stepchild in those debates. I would always choose PEX or copper over CPVC.

Old 07-01-19, 08:53 PM
CPVC is very cheap and no special tool is required.
That is the only upside. It tends to crack easily after 10 years or so, especially when very hot water is run through (for heating purposes) or exposed to UV.

I think PEX is the best plastic pipe. See if the plumber is using PEX-A (aka Uponor). It has plastic ring around the fitting and it is stretch fit instead of compression. Compression ring with PEX-B may develop leak after years if not properly installed (which happens quiet a lot).