Galvanized to PVC question

Old 07-08-19, 07:20 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Galvanized to PVC question

In my situation there is not enough room between the galvanized fittings to cut and have a stub big enough to use a no-hub adapter. I am working with a 1-1/2" waste line. I am wondering if I can connect one side of a No-hub adapter over the female portion of a galvanized fittings (maybe use a 2" to 1-1/2" no hub?) And the other to the PVC? Or am I not allow to put it of a fitting and it NEEDS to be on a "regular" section of pipe? (the "regular" section is under the floor on the second story and I don't want to pull the floor up).

Or should I try using a PVC 1-1/2" male threaded adapter to connect the PVC to the female end of the galvanized fittings (could someone recommend the correct adapter?)

Thank you for your help in advance!

Old 07-08-19, 07:42 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I am unable to visualize what you have. If you could post a picture I might be able to make a suggestion. It is best to eliminate all the galvanized steel piping if at all possible.

Old 07-08-19, 05:47 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
should I try using a PVC 1-1/2" male threaded adapter to connect the PVC to the female end of the galvanized fittings
This is what I would do. I wouldn't use no-hub or fernco if you can unthread a pipe.

No hub will not fit over a fitting very well. Regular fernco will work better, although not quiet a correct way to use it.

Old 07-08-19, 05:57 PM
P
Thank you for your reply. So looking at it again it does not look like galvanized to me. I think it is copper because of the size of the connections and sodder around the connections. So I guess the question now is: can I use a 1-1/2" coupling sheath (or no-hub or fernco?) on the end of one of the copper fittings or do I need to use a free section of the copper? To I would cut the pipe back to the edge of a fitting and place the coupling sheath over that (with some Teflon dope?) And the other end I would do pvc?

This is looking straight down into the shower/tub access panel

This is looking back under the floor and away from the tub

This is looking under the current tub(we are replacing)

This a close up on a connection to see the sodder and look of the copper

Old 07-08-19, 06:04 PM
L
Your images did not work..
If you have copper tied on a galvanized or cast iron fitting, it will still have thread. (Male adapter)
If it is copper fitting, it will be sweated on. In that case, the fitting won't be much larger than a copper pipe used. You are supposed to use copper to PVC/galvanized adapter in this case, although many people just use 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" reducer fernco (copper tubing is 1/4" smaller than PVC).

Old 07-08-19, 06:34 PM
P
My apologies on the images in the previous post. I actually don't think there is any galvanized in this section of drain. When we bought the house, we were told by the inspector that the home's drain system was galvanized but I am not sure he looked at this section because I think it is all copper. So if this is all copper what would your suggestion be? Thank you again!

This is looking straight down into the shower/tub access panel (attachment 1)
Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  55.6 KB

This is looking back under the floor and away from the tub (attachment 2)
Name:  p2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  52.6 KB

This is looking under the current tub(we are replacing) (attachment 3)
Name:  p3.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  51.5 KB

This a close up on a connection to see the solder and look of the copper (attachment 4)
Name:  p4.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  38.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-09-19 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Resized/enhanced pictures
Old 07-08-19, 07:02 PM
L
That is all copper and brass.
Are you trying to tie in another tub to this line or are you replacing this existing tub?

You will have to cut further down the line and repipe whole thing in PVC. There really isn't any room to add or replace pipe there.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-P...-100372289-_-N
This is what you are supposed to use for transition between copper and PVC.

However, 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 flexible fernco coupling is often used as well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...-125/100044154

Personally, I wouldn't use this on horizontal runs because it can sag.

Old 07-08-19, 07:54 PM
F
I still don't understand what you want to do. The only reason for changing out copper drainage piping for Plastic is if you want to sell the copper for scrap value. Since the price of scrap copper dropped significantly over the last couple of years even this makes little sense.

Old 07-09-19, 05:55 AM
P
Thank you all for the advice.

We are replacing the tube and the overflow as well as drain will not be in exactly the same position. I think I am going to try to transition to PVC at the sanitary-T that is by the tub. So I will have pvc coming from the drain and overflow then it will transition back to the copper using a fernco before that first sanitary-T. What are your thoughts on that Furd? Thanks!

Is this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-P...-100372289-_-N

Better than this?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in...-150/100148566

Old 07-09-19, 02:34 PM
F
You will need to use the coupler with the stainless steel shroud. The shroud helps to hold the two pipes in proper alignment.

Old 07-09-19, 05:33 PM
L
Proflex option is the correct way and will keep the pipe aligned correctly. It also supports pipe at the joint.
Fernco rubber coupling is a hack way to do it. Often done by a remodeler, handyman, and the maintenance people. It will work fine on vertical runs for most part, but it will sag on horizontal runs. Which means, pipe will not align correctly.

You don't have enough pipe to use proflex at the sanitary tee. Proflex will not fit over the sanitary fee. At least not without forcing it.
Using fernco rubber coupling, it will fit over the sanitary tee. However, this is not the correct fitting and I doubt you will have enough room to actually put a new trap and still line up with your new tub.

That is why I suggest cut farther down the line (before 2 45s) and repipe in PVC.

Another way to do it is using flexible (accordion type) slip joint tub drain kit, but I woudn't recommend it. It is very thin and flimsy.

There is also flexible PVC tub drain kit. This uses PVC hose and it is fine to use, but only overflow part is flexible and you still need PVC drain pipe to attach this kit to.

Old 07-12-19, 10:27 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I agree with the others that the correct answer is to cut a lot of that out and connect to the copper pipe with no-hub couplers.

BUT... if you're looking to save the floor, I wouldn't have too much issue with using a Fernco rubber coupling. It should be able to be forced over the brass female fitting and make a good connection. I wouldn't have too much issue with it considering the fitting is accessible. It might not be 100% correct, but I think it would give you many years of hassle-free use.

Old 07-15-19, 07:36 PM
L
It should be able to be forced over the brass female fitting and make a good connection.
While that will fit, I doubt there will be enough room to add a PVC trap and still be able to align with the tub drain. Fernco rubber couplings are pretty long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: