Installing a gas line to a clothes dryer

Old 05-30-01, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm looking to run a gas line from my main gas pipes to our utility closet to support the gas dryer we just purchased. There is a T joint with a threaded, capped end that I can hook up to. It is about 12 feet from the joint to the desired location. What steps do I need to take to ensure safety and meet Alaska codes? Do I need to use the black pipe with 90 degree joints, or is there a flex pipe that would meet my needs? How about hanging the pipe from joists?

Old 05-30-01, 05:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't know about Alaska code so check locally. In my opinion black pipe is the way to go. Use teflon tape and pipe dope. Make sure to test when done. This can be done with soap bubbles make sure you have no leaks. Make sure to shut the gas off before starting. Make sure to put a shut off for the dryer.

good luck
John

Old 05-30-01, 09:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Post Running gas line

Also it is a very good idea to make sure all of the pilot lights are out on your furnas, water heater, stove if so equipped before you shut off the gas. I'm not a professional but a guy who had worked for the gas company told me to do this before I hooked up my gas dryer.

Old 05-31-01, 11:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Why do you recommend the black pipe with joints? The flex pipe option sounds so much simpler...

Old 05-31-01, 04:30 PM
Visiting Guest
gas line

Hello there is a new flex gas line that has came out and is approved for Ohio codes dont know about up there at all,
But the draw back is it costs like 4 times the price of black pipe .and only a plumber that is certified can install this kind of gas line. :-(
But if you hire a plumber to do it and they use this flex gas line it will make up for the labor that it would take to run black pipe.Plus with the flex you will only have 2 joints to make .. i hope it helps you .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: