New Shower Leaking

Old 05-30-01, 02:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

New shower leaking, added a new shower and enclosure to an existing tub. Used copper 1/2 pipe for the shower, did the proper welding. Kept the original piping for the faucets, installed new faucet handles, installed new spout with pull up for shower. Tested shower before installing dry wall and it worked with the hot and cold, but I didn't try it with a shower head on. I have tighted up the nuts on the faucets, tighted the spout as well as the shower pipe and shower head. Still leaks. If you bearly turn on the shower the leak is minimal, however if you turn on the faucets to normal it leaks alot. I've changed shower heads three times. Just hope the leak is not behind the dry wall.
Actually I used the wet wall/dry wall stuff. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. Short of taking off the tub enclosure, I don't know what else to try.

Thanks

Matold

Old 05-30-01, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where is it leaking?

Is it leaking where the shower head attaches to the shower arm, that chrome pipe?

Old 05-31-01, 12:37 PM
Visiting Guest
New Shower Leaking

Thanks for getting back to me. This shower is upstairs, when I go downstairs to where the plumbing is for this bathroom, this is where it leaks. Update: Last night I took off the faucet handles, the drain, the shower head and the spout. The pipe that attaches to the spout and copper pipe inside the wall was wet and rusty. Even though this was a new pipe and I did put that white tape around the threads it must not have been secure. Anyway, I had previously purchased three 1/2 inch pipes, different lenghts. I connected the 1/2 pipe that was 1 1/2 inches long to the copper pipe inside the wall and the spout. I put the white tape on both ends and connected it. I used a big wrench to tighten the spout to the pipe. Tested the shower after putting everything back together and NO LEAKS.... I was elated.

Matold

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: