Sewage Backup in Basement

Old 05-30-01, 04:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just finish cleaning up my basement that was full of sewage, over 9 inches. I do not want to go through this mess again. I was wondering if there is a device, like a flapper valve, that can be installed in the main line from the house just before the tap into the sewer line?
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-30-01, 04:42 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
You can install a back water valve depending on the depth of the sewer,but you may want to remedy the cause of the back up.are you in a low area or something?

Old 05-30-01, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in an old village of a subdivision. My house was built in 1830's and I am not sure when the sewage system was installed in my area. I plan to talk to the city engineer to find out more information about the sewage system. In my area, about six square blocks, there are about 4 houses that have a sewage drain in the basement. I am one of them. What is happing is that when the sewage system backs up it is using my basement as an overflow. The day this happen there was a lot of rain. I know that the storm water should not be flowing into the sewer system, but I think that is what happened. Thanks.

Old 05-30-01, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UPC Code States

710.0 Drainage of Fixtures Located Below the Next Upstream Manhole or Below the Main Sewer Level

710.1 Drainage piping serving fixtures which have flood level rims located below the elevation of the next upstream manhole cover of the public or private sewer serving such drainage piping shall be protected from backflow of sewage by installing an approved type backwater valve. Fixtures above such elevation shall not discharge through the backwater valve.

710.6 Backwater valves, gate valves, fullway ball valves, unions, motors, compressors, air tanks, and other mechanical devices required by this section shall be located where they will be accessible for inspection and repair at all times and, unless continuously exposed, shall be enclosed in a masonry pit fitted with an adequately sized
removable cover.

Here is a picture, now I'm not the greatest artist in the world but this is how I see what is happening.

In the picture you can see how water if backing up in a manhole from the city could flow into your basement, this maynot be how your drains tie together, but it should show what you need to know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: