drain back up

Old 07-26-19, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drain back up

I am new here seeking advice.
PROBLEM....
after using bathtub when draining BOTH bathrooms get flooded. they are oposite on same wall. Commodes are back to back.
I am disabled and limited on what I can lift....commode is 1 of them.
the water leaks out around both commodes, fills the shower stall in other bathroom.
when flushing commode it works and no leaks,shower, something although shower drains kinda slow.
plumber wants $250 to run a snake....I live in real area on septic....and on a VERY tight budget.....I have plungdered tub and also shower....tub .. no help....shower I get some small black "moldy" looking chunks.
wife wants to use liquid plumber .... we have PVC Piping....but I fear it could cause problems with septic.??????
have heard of shop vac trick....how could I achieve fixing my drain without putting my septic at risk

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-19, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Sunds like you have a clog after toilets and septic, If there is a clean out you could try to run a snake from there.

Old 07-26-19, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The best way to protect a septic is to never use any drain cleaners.

If your showers/tubs are back to back..... the problem is the stack in the wall. There isn't much you can do without snaking it. The "vacuum trick" could possibly work but is not terribly helpful in that situation.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-27-19, 03:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Another vote for snaking the drain line to clear the clog. Using water in one location causing water to back up in another is a classic sign of a clog unless you've previously had signs of a septic problem. The clog is somewhere downstream of where your bathrooms connect to the main drain.

Don't waste your money on pour down the drain chemicals as they don't work.

Old 07-28-19, 05:57 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In this situation, could Pawpadog (the OP) snake the drain himself using a rotary drum snake? Either manual or with a drill?