Sump Pump Air Blocking

Old 05-31-01, 10:34 AM
Visiting Guest
My sump pump never goes off, and I was told it's caused by air blocking. Can anybody there explain what is sump pump air blocking, and how to prevent it? Many thanks.

Yuanlinh

Old 05-31-01, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pumps not not air block, sounds more like the float is hanging up and not raising and falling like it should, check float to ensure it has free movement up and down, if it does then maybe the float is bad and needs replaced.

Old 05-31-01, 07:53 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
Actually pumps do airlock,You need to drill a 3/16 inch hole in the side of the discharge pipe about 8 inchs above
where it connects to the pump inside the can.Is this a sewage ejector?

Old 05-31-01, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I stand corrected, thanks plumguy, I have never liked sump pump work, there about the scummest things to ever work on.

Old 05-31-01, 08:01 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
Indeed Plumber 2000, Indeed they are sleezy..although I,ve never heard of the pump continually running from airlock,
It usually freezes up.

[Edited by plumbguy on 05-31-01 at 11:06]

Old 06-01-01, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
plumbguy and Plumber2000:

Thank you so much for your help, particalrly plumbguy for the tip to fix it.

Actually, what happened to my sump pump was: I found one day the pump was running without water caming out, and it seemed it had being running for a while. And it does not seem to be the float problem, beacuse the water level in the pit is not low enough for the float to drop to trigger the motor to stop. It does seem to the air blocking problem.

Again, I would like to hear someone ot explain what is air blocking and what's the mechanism caused that, if someone happens to knwo it.

Thanks,

Yuanlinh

Old 06-01-01, 01:40 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
you may want to pull the pump and inspect the impellars.
they could be worn

Old 07-24-01, 09:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation the pump won't stop!

I'm having a similair problem with my pump that hooks to my slop sink in the basement. My natural inclination is to take it apart to see if there is something stuck in it, but I can't figure out how to take the dang thing apart. Can someone give me a clue?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: