Rough in plumbing, pipe above floor level

Old 08-10-19, 05:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rough in plumbing, pipe above floor level

We'll be doing some rough in plumbing before tiling and flooring is in, only the subfloor is there.
for waste pipes, do you leave the pipe a few inches above floor level and then cut it flush later on when installing fixtures?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-19, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
I normally install the toilet flange before tiling. I like to have the top of the flange to be roughly level with the finished floor. Depending on what you use for tile backer and the thickness of your tile you can install the flange on top of the subfloor or on top of your tile backer board. Then tile up around the flange.

Old 08-10-19, 08:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And baths, sinks, etc. I can just install a pipe a few inches above floor then glue into it later on?

Old 08-13-19, 10:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
For toilets, I try to cut the pipe to the correct height before the subfloor goes in. I usually know what the floor will be comprised of, so I can get it within 1/4" or so... the 3" flange will handle it if the pipe is a little short. You can always cut it after the floor goes in, but it's just more work with a small flush-cut saw.

Shower I will leave long and cut it when the shower base is going in.

Bathtub is usually just under a cut-out in the floor anyway since the trap needs to be perfect with the tub.

And vanity should most likely be coming in through the wall. If it's coming through the floor, how are you handling a vent?