How hard to install an outside faucet?

Old 05-31-01, 01:06 PM
Debra
Visiting Guest
Question

I have city water being piped in through my basement wall on the north side. It goes through a meter then through a house filter and finally through a water softner. I have one facuet on the south side of the house.

I would like to have a outside facuet in the back of the house and I would like the water to be connected BEFORE it goes though the filter and softner.

How hard would it be to tap into the pipes and redirect the water outside. I realize I would have to drill a hole through the concrete foundation, or could I install it above the concrete ledge? Maybe though the sill?

Do I need a professional?

Old 05-31-01, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile outside fawcet

As i dont know the level of your skills in the plumbing department its probably best left to a profesional.It's not a hard job however and could be undertaken by someone of reasonable DIY skills.Take into acount the local rules and regulations of the building and water authorities.
bob the plumber england

Old 05-31-01, 01:25 PM
Debra
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I am a learn as you go fixer upper. Water and electricity scare me. They are too hard to fix when I mess them up. I think I will leave this to a pro.

Old 05-31-01, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

What type of pipes do you have?
This is not that difficult, especially if you have PVC white plastic cold water lines. You can go through the wood and not the concrete wall.
Just drill the hole and run the water line from a T (tap into the existing outdoor faucet line). Install a freeze-proof spigot.
For some illustrated how-to Plumbing info go to "Repair/Fix-It" above and to http://www.bhglive.com/homeimp/ and see if you think that you can do it.
Surprise yourself and Do-It-Yourself! There is nothing to be scared of with water (electricity IS another story).
Good Luck!

Old 05-31-01, 02:42 PM
Debra
Visiting Guest
I have all copper pipes, I would have to extend a line from the northwest corner of the basement to the northeast side. Luckly, the basement in unfinished. I have just had a cement drive put it and the foundation is about two feet above the drive.

Old 05-31-01, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sweating copper pipe and fittings is not difficult; it just takes a little practice.
However, if you've never done ANY plumbing, it may be best to hire a plumber and WATCH how it is done, so that maybe you can do it the next time. It shouldn't be too expensive to have done.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: