Sharkbite valve on supply line

Old 08-14-19, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharkbite valve on supply line

The 50-year-old shutoff valve on my supply line should be replaced as there's a tiny leak. I'd like to use Sharkbite and wonder if model 22185LFCA would do the job.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sha...nch/1000792838

The supply line is 3/4" copper. The valve sits between the pressure tank for incoming well water and the start of the distribution lines inside the house.

The new valve would enable me to easily shut off water to the house when we go away on trips without turning off the well pump. I've heard that prolonged shutdown of a well pump can cause problems. The pump is installed in a bored well and not accessible.

I have used Sharkbite for regular plumbing connections.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

08-14-19, 09:03 AM
Marq1
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
Just remember, soldered joints are a physical joining of the materials not quite the same as welding but pretty close.

A shark bite fitting is mechanical, made up of parts, pieces, and o-rings and prone to failure, especially with time!

Just depends how well you want to sleep at night, I dont want to worry about a water leak due to a cheap China made o-ring!

Old 08-14-19, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No problem. That valve should work fine. Very easy to install. They do rotate, after installation, but that should not be a problem for you, since you probably won't be using it too often. Just hold onto the thing when you are turning it on and off, to keep it from rotating. Rotating is a characteristic of shark bite valves. It is normal and will not cause a leak. Just a little unsettling for those use to soldered or threaded joints.

Old 08-14-19, 09:03 AM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
Just remember, soldered joints are a physical joining of the materials not quite the same as welding but pretty close.

A shark bite fitting is mechanical, made up of parts, pieces, and o-rings and prone to failure, especially with time!

Just depends how well you want to sleep at night, I dont want to worry about a water leak due to a cheap China made o-ring!

Baldwin, CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 08-15-19, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
If it's at the lowest point in your plumbing system, I'd suggest getting one with a drain on it. It will allow you to drain down the system if it's ever needed.

Plus this one has drop-ears on it too so it can be firmly attached if there's a wall or stud nearby.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...00LF/300004498

Old 08-15-19, 05:54 PM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
I would want the best connection for my primary water supply line. I replaced my old one with a good soldered quality copper valve. But that's just me... I do have many other areas where I've used shark bites.