Flex gas pipe connection

Old 08-17-19, 02:08 PM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Flex gas pipe connection

The house we have has a gas pipe in the crawl space that seems to be around 1.5" or 2" at the main entrance.
it's threaded pipe maybe galvanized or steel (not black).
Can I connect a flex 1/2" pipe to this?
I need to run 2 lines, 1 to a fireplace and 1 to a cooking hob.
It's around 15ft to the fireplace then almost a straight line onto the hob for another 15'

Old 08-20-19, 10:10 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Votes on 184 Posts
I assume you're talking about CSST for flex pipe (and not the 3-6' pipes used to connect an appliance to the gas valve). In general, yes, you can connect your 1/2" CSST to that main.

What you need to figure out is whether 1/2" is enough for your fireplace and cooking. And if your existing gas supply can handle the addition of those appliances. Most likely, yes... but I don't know that I'd want to just assume.

Old 08-21-19, 05:12 PM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What sizes does csst come in?
I'm assuming the 2 appliances will say what flow rates they need so I can calculate pipe size?
Or just run 2 lengths of 1/2" from the main and split them.

Old 08-22-19, 09:53 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Votes on 184 Posts
CCST comes in 1/2", 3/4" and I believe 1" as well. (possibly larger too, but I've never looked into that).

The appliance ratings and length is what's needed to figure out if you can use a single 1/2" for both, or need two separate runs. Also, while it's unlikely, whenever you're adding new appliances, you need to be sure that it's not overloading the meter or incoming piping so you don't starve your furnace for gas. With a 1.5" trunk, I doubt it, but can't say for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: