New toilet/unlevel mounting plate

Old 05-31-01, 10:13 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently ripped out an old toilet to replace it with a new one. Come to find out the drain pipe and mounting plate aren't level. I have about 1/4" gap under one side and about 3/8" gap on the other. The drain is completly surrounded by concrete and appears that all the fittings are glued. The high side of the flange is to high, toilet rocks. Now it's time for the question, Anyone know a fix without having to excavate a lot of concrete and dirt to staighten.
Any info could be helpful.

Old 05-31-01, 10:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You can shim the new toilet level with beveled shims made for the purpose (or I use beveled cedar shingle strips).
Set the toilet on the flange on a new wax seal, lay a level across the bowl, and shim it under the edge of the base as necessary.
Snug the base down good until the toilet won't move (not too tight, it may crack the base).
Seal around the floor with tub-and-tile caulk. Should be fine.
For illustrated how-to info about toilet installation, go to "Repair/Fix-It" above or to http://www.bhglive.com/homeimp/ and follow the links in the Plumbing sections.
Good Luck!

Old 06-01-01, 07:26 PM
Visiting Guest
RE:New toilet/unlevel mounting plate

I thought about doing something like that but, wasn't sure if it would work. Still questioning how it will look. I guess if it doesn't turn out right I can rip it out again.

Thanks for the idea.
Take care,

Old 06-01-01, 08:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Especially if you have a tile floor, another option is to use tile grout. The fine grain version visually blends in with the base of the toilet, and once it sets, there is little or no give like you might have if you use caulk on a really big gap.

Old 06-02-01, 04:17 PM
Visiting Guest
New toilet/unlevel mounting plate

It's a done deal, toilet is set in place shimmed and caulked. It turned out fair, would have prefered a level flange but it worked.

Thanks for the input.

Take care

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: