Shutting off hot water only

Old 05-31-01, 11:15 PM
skim35
Visiting Guest
Question

A pipe broke inside of a wall. It will require major work.
The broken pipe is used for hot water, and no valve to shut it off from water heater.

I tried to cut off the water going into water heater(Has a shut-off valve) but hot water is keep comming out of broken pipe... I am guessing this is because of the pressure built in the water heater.

I would like least the cold water going few days without leaking water all over the broken pipe. Should depressurizing the hot waterheater help?

Old 06-01-01, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Always turn OFF power or gas to a water heater before turning off the water supply to it.
The cold water supply going into the tank provides the pressure for your hot water going out. Turning this valve off will cut off the hot water only. (There usually isn't a cutoff valve on the hot water line itself.)
To relieve the leak pressure by draining the water heater tank some, turn off the cold valve, attach a hose to the spigot at the bottom of the heater, open a nearby hot water faucet for air, and drain it until the leaking stops.
After your hot water leak is repaired, open a hot water faucet on a tub spout only (no aerator to clog) to help flush debris, open the heater supply valve and fill the water heater tank until you have a solid flow of water out of the tub spout, then you can turn the power or gas back on the heater.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: