Where is this water coming from?!?!

Old 09-01-19, 11:46 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where is this water coming from?!?!

I've had to shut off the water to the house while dealing with a problem water heater. I am getting water coming from the hot water return line on the water heater. I get it to stop by 1) turning off the water at the main or 2) leaving on one of the downstairs hot water faucets. If I turn on one of the upstairs hot water faucets, nothing happens while water comes out of the downstairs hot water faucets. It doesn't happen if I turn off the water at the main on the street, but water still comes out of water heater hot water return line if I turn off the water at the gate valve on the front porch, but don't leave one of the downstairs hot water faucets on (with a corresponding heavy dribble of water.)

So, my questions are:

1) Where is this water coming from? Why is water coming back into the water heater? I thought it should only be going out of the water heater on that line. 2) Why does it still happen when the gate valve is closed?

Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 09-01-19, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I am guessing the heater has a hole in it. When you open a valve it lets pressure off enough that it does not leak.

Old 09-01-19, 03:04 PM
Received 1,095 Upvotes on 995 Posts
Somewhere you have a valve that is not closing fully and water is leaking back!

Old 09-01-19, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
either gate valve not holding or its natural for the hot water in the tank siphon out at a lower faucet.. If you tighten gate valve too much they are known to break closed.. be cautious..

Call a pro if its over your head...

Old 09-02-19, 07:28 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The answer does not lie with the water heater. It is disconnected and I have a bowl on top trying to contain any water leaking back from the hot water line. I agree that there must be a valve that is not closing all the way, allowing water to come back (typically at a trickle). Now, where is it? I have no idea. As for the gate valve, it is a lever type, either all open or all closed, so I know I didn't over-tighten it. Unfortunately, it appears to not be closing all the way when I want to turn off water to the house. It is inconvenient, but I can turn it off at the main at the street so it's not worth the cost to hire someone to replace it.

Thanks again. I'll probably just turn off the water at the main, put in a new water heater, and live with the little issues. I would love to know what valve is open that is allowing the trickle back in the hot water line, though.

Old 09-02-19, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I must have mis understood.. If your getting water back out the hot line where the water heater was, this is caused by a mixing valve somewhere. So if you open a single lever faucet in the home the water will travel from the cold to the hot line. as simple as that.

Usually shower diverters are pressure balanced but older sixers and faulty balance spools will cause this. Just put a valve on the hot side of heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: