Hot and cold into same outside faucet?

Old 12-01-19, 11:26 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hot and cold into same outside faucet?

I have one outdoor faucet that is connected to the cold water pipes.
i wanted to flood a backyard ice rink this year but need occasional hot water to do that.
Is there anything in the code that prevents me adding both a hot and cold route for the water to one outlet?
I was thinking of 2 shut off valves to control whether it was hot or cold routed through at any one time?

Old 12-02-19, 11:16 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
You could install an anti-sweat or a mixing valve that has cold and hot inputs and a single output. Depending the setting you will get warm water out but not hot.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Raven-R1...t-Valve-w-Nuts

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-512...ve-No-Fittings

If you install separate valves as you suggested, you might also need check valves to prevent hot or cold water from flowing back into the opposite pipe.

In any case you should have a back flow preventer on the hose connection.

Old 12-02-19, 11:33 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
They also make various hot and cold outdoor faucets, very handy in the winter for washing cars to just take the chill out of the water!

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ask-toh...t-water-faucet

Old 12-02-19, 11:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I have a couple locations on my house with hot and cold spigots. All were included in the new construction and passed code without any trouble.

Whichever method you choose (two spigots, a mixing valve, or outdoor faucet...) will you have a hose attached? Leaving a hose attached in freezing weather causes a lot of burst pipes. If you could do this all so you have access to the piping inside the house would be a big benefit. If a frost proof sillcock freezes and bursts it's really not a bad job to replace as long as it's not in a finished wall with no access.

Old 12-02-19, 03:27 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
I've seen it referred to as a "hunter's faucet", or ("outdoor shower") not exactly common, but around me, it's usually installed (along with a drain) in the vestibule at the base of the basement stairs / bilco door.

That way it's not entirely exposed to the outside cold, and it gives the hunter / fisherman of the family a place to rinse off with warm water without tracking mud and blood and fish guts through the house.

The "budget" version is a section of garden hose (sometimes with foam insulation to keep the heat) running from the hot water heater drain to a spray head by the basement, or a garden hose running from a hot/cold utility sink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: