How to remove waste pipe from wall?

Old 09-18-19, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove waste pipe from wall?

Hey, all!

I was trying to replace the p-trap and waste arm in the kitchen sink because I noticed one day it was leaking and when I looked under the sink, the waste arm had a huge corroded hole in it near where it meets the trap.

The trap itself seemed fine but it's so gunked up it would back the sink up anyway so I figured I'd just replace both and bought a simple PVC set.

I removed the trap easy enough but now I don't know how to get the waste arm off since I've only ever seen ones with a nut. This one had some kind of plastic tubing with screws that tighten on the perforated metal strip, I don't know what those are called.

I loosened and removed them before taking this picture attached. I thought they were squeezing the waste arm in place and that if I loosened them, I'd be able to pull the arm out and slide in a new one but it won't budge.

I'm really hoping this isn't something I have to cut because I don't have the tools for that and can't afford the tools for it or for anyone else to do this (seriously, my income is low and I'm already behind on bills).

Any ideas what's going on with this? Is it cemented/glued in? If cutting is the only option then I guess I won't have a functioning kitchen sink for another few months.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-19, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
The rubber fitting should just pull out. The hose clamps were all that was holding it - plus years of gunk build up. A good twist should release it and let you slide it out.

Maybe sliding a screwdriver between the trap arm and the rubber could help. Or if worse comes to worse, a knife to cut the rubber coupling.

No pipe cutting should be required.

Old 09-18-19, 10:04 AM
Thank you! So when you say the rubber fitting should pull out, you mean I should try to pull out the pipe and the rubber or that the pipe should just pull out of the rubber like I was trying to do? I didn't want to try to brute force anything until I knew what was actually going on.

Old 09-18-19, 01:19 PM
Thank you! So when you say the rubber fitting should pull out, you mean I should try to pull out the pipe and the rubber or that the pipe should just pull out of the rubber like I was trying to do? I didn't want to try to brute force anything until I knew what was actually going on.

Old 09-18-19, 01:29 PM
Woops! I didn't mean to post that twice. I was trying to post this. I was able to slide the rubber off so I could maybe see why I can't get the waste pipe out and this is what it looks like.

It doesn't look like the pipe was just put in there. It looks like it was sealed to the other pipe somehow. I tried digging at the seam with a screwdriver while tugging and twisting at the pipe but nothing is happening.

This is why I was saying I was hoping it wasn't something that has to be cut. Because it felt like one continuous pipe or two pipes cemented together rather than just stuck by gunk.

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-19, 01:56 PM
I just kept digging at it until I broke the pipe off. I'm assuming the waste pipe is supposed to slide into the wall tube but the one I broke off didn't appear to be inside it, just bucked right up against it. Is that why it had rubber or some other stuff on it? To both connect it and create a watertight seal?

The waste pipe from the kit I got seems to be the same exact length and diameter as the one I broke off but I don't want to assume it's just supposed to sit up against the other pipe inside the rubber unless that's normal. I'm only used to seeing wall pipes that have a nut on them just like on the other end, not one where the pipe just sits there.

Old 09-18-19, 03:12 PM
Good enough for now

I know I didn't do this right but it was urgent because I can't be without a sink anymore. It's already been weeks and the only other sink I have stopped working today. I can't buy anything else I'd need to do this differently anyway right now so this has to do.

After I broke off the old waste pipe, like I said it didn't appear to be slid inside the one in the wall. It looked like it was just bucked up against it and then had something pasted around it.

I thought it was just my eyes but the pipe I broke off is the same diameter as the PVC pipe I'm replacing it with, which is too big to slide inside the wall pipe since it also appears to be the same exact diameter.

I just bucked them up against each other for now, wrapped the seam with one layer of duct tape just to cover it and slid the rubber coupling over that so it's nice and snug. Checked for leaks and so far there's nothing but I'm keeping the bucket under there just in case.

At some point I'll figure out how that's actually supposed to attach to the pipe in the wall but for now at least I can use the sink. Thanks for the help!

Attached Images   
Old 09-18-19, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Looks good to me, I hope you cleaned out all gunk in pipe.

Old 09-18-19, 05:34 PM
I just cleaned out that green bit that was near the edge there that looked like moss since everything else seemed to just be the pipe itself. Thanks!

Old 09-23-19, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Sorry for the slow response - I know how sometimes you just need some help!

But what you did looks great. No need for the duct tape, the rubber fitting both holds the pipes together and seals them. But no harm.

No idea what they might have used to glue them together before, but no need... that rubber fitting does wonders.