How do you change this to a regular threaded pipe?

Old 09-28-19, 01:34 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do you change this to a regular threaded pipe?

I have attached images of an outdoor spigot. I have never seen this type of connection before. I want to change this to a threaded pipe so I can do some piping. What type of connection is this? Is this something best not touched? I am installing a sprinkler system and wanted to connect it to this pipe but I have never seen this type of connection before.

Name:  v1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  v2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  172.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-29-19 at 11:53 AM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Old 09-28-19, 02:47 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,902
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I might be wrong, but think I'm seeing a threaded spiggot with the threads covered by the original clamp. Remove the back one and see, but I think that's what you will find. Looks like maybe they couldn't get the screw loose so just installed a new clamp.
Old 09-28-19, 02:49 PM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 9,251
Received 1,100 Upvotes on 1,000 Posts
All I see is a hose bib with 2 ground clamps, need to remove the ground clamps and I'll bet it's a soldered connection!
Old 09-29-19, 12:04 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 62,040
Received 3,417 Upvotes on 3,064 Posts
That's pretty old but a common setup in it's day. That is an boiler drain valve screwed on to iron pipe.
You'll need to remove those ground clamps temporarily and then two wrenches to get the valve off.

What you are looking for is a 3/4" FIP brass angle boiler drain valve.

Name:  bib.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  13.4 KB
Old 09-30-19, 06:45 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,345
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I think I see a short nipple between the two clamps.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: