pvc pipe to steel pipe fitting

Old 06-02-01, 01:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I ned to attach PVC drain pipe to existing steel pipe. What should I use?
Old 06-02-01, 01:23 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

A Fernco coupling, which is just a rubber sleeve with two large hose clamps.
Go to http://www.bhglive.com/homeimp/ for illustrated info.
Good Luck!
Old 06-03-01, 05:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Red face

Did the same thing when I bought my house. That rubber coupling is made several ways so be sure you get a steel PIPE-to-PVC type. I have seen them for iron-to-copper, copper-to-PVC, galvanized-to-pvc, etc. (I had to buy mine from a manufacturing distributor at the time, because the local hardware could/would not order it. PVC was not as abundant as it is today...) My house drain exits the house with about 1" of extension. Naturally it had experienced some corrosion. I was told if that 1" pipe ever became unusable, they made some sort of tube that would extend INTO the old pipe, thus making it smaller -- something I don't want to do. I am hoping to outlive that old pipe & the rubber.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: