slow flushing toilet

Old 06-02-01, 07:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Our condo is a second floor unit, with no one above us. We have two identical Mansfield toilets approximatyely 21 years old. One flushes fine. The other takes two to four flushes to completely get rid of waste and toilet paper. These are not water-saving toilets. They are the old full-size units. I was told that there was a possiblilty that the holes under the rim of the toilet may be restricted (we have high calcium in our water). However, I used several dental picks and some #12 and #14 copper wire to ream them out. No improvement, although there was som "junk" that cmae out of the holes. Additionally, I poured muriatic acid into the tank and let it flow through the holes. Only a slight improvement. I do not know if both toilets are connected to the same stack, but I believe they each have their own stack. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ B.

Old 06-03-01, 07:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

A toilet has its own built-in trap, and there is probably something (plastic toy, toothbrush, curler, etc.?) lodged in the trap of the one that's giving you trouble.
Use a plumber's auger, feed the snake end up into the trap, and crank away.
If that doesn't dislodge it, you may have to pull the toilet and auger it from the underneath side.
For illustrated how-to info, go to "Repair/Fix-It" above and to http://www.bhglive.com/homeimp/ and follow the Plumbing sections links to Toilets.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: