Minerals in Pipes

Old 06-03-01, 12:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I just bought a house built in 1904. The upstairs bathroom sink won't drain. I took apart the trap and also used a snake on the pipe going into the wall. Brown/rust-colored sediment comes out. The pipes appear to have quite a bit of mineral build-up in them. I've also tried commercial drain cleaners. Nothing helps. I put everything back together and the sink still does not drain. Does anyone know a remedy for this? Please help! The sink drains a little....until the pipe fills up from the apparent clog to the drain, and then water starts to leak out of the pipes under the sink, so we can't use this sink at all. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-01, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If you have galvanized drain pipe that has scaled up completely inside, the only solution is to replace it.
Sorry. Good Luck!

Old 06-11-01, 07:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Replacing drain pipes is a last resort. A good plumber well equipt with good electric drain cleaning machines usualy can open a galv. pipe drain,although galvanised fittings are hard to get around. Hope you can find a good plumber and save some money. John

Old 06-11-01, 09:00 PM
Yes John this is true about a well equiped plumber, the toughest fitting to manover around are those #@%&^ water fitting the farmers put in back then, when there was no codes, even a 1/4" cable has a hard time getting around them.

However the bad thing about old pipes is you never know what is going to happen upon running the cable in the line, could cause weak spots in the pipe to start leaking, there could be that one spot that is so rotted out, it's bound to leak once the cable touches it, everytime I have to run a line, I hope it's not that one time.

So when ever I'm doing these old drains I'll inform the customer/s of that possiblities, and I never garantee once done, there won't be leaks later on, out of sight out of mind, till you begin to smell the leakage in the walls or under a house.

Old 06-11-01, 09:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes plumber2000- But as stated earlier if you have to replace the pipe anyway what have you got to lose? John ps houses are built a little differant in Fl, But when I worked and lived in upstate NY the plumbing was pretty easy to get to from the basement. John

Old 06-11-01, 10:03 PM
I have worked in Idaho and loved those basements, it's too bad there are not too many houses here in Oregon with full basements, Every time I get to work in a house here with a basement, I just smile and say this is my luky day.

Working on plumbing standing up sure beats that under the house, crawl with the bugs, insulation inhalation, skeleton cats and critters laying around, snakes, you name it, you find it all under them.

[Edited by Plumber2000 on 06-12-01 at 01:44]