Washer Shut Off Valve Replacement

Old 11-08-19, 06:04 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washer Shut Off Valve Replacement

Hi all,

Bought an older, neglected home and am making many updates/repairs and was going to replace the old washing machine hoses when I noticed the valve handles were missing. Thought it might be safer to just replace the old valves while replacing the old hoses. My question is, I can clearly tell they are threaded and screw in, I'm just concerned with putting too much force on it as there's nothing blow for me to grab on to. Has anyone replaced one of these without being able to grab underneath as I exert force on the valve?

Attached Images  
Old 11-08-19, 06:28 AM
M
Received 295 Upvotes on 265 Posts
If the valves work then I would just get new handles.

Old 11-08-19, 10:00 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to unscrew the valve without getting to the pipe below. Too much risk of breaking the pipe or torquing the fittings too much and starting a small (or large) leak.

Old 11-12-19, 10:22 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the responses. I had someone come in and replace them but I noticed there was a some slack/movement in the box so I thought he had just forgot to tighten up the plastic pieces mounted underneath, but see the pic in how he installed the valves. I thought he would of installed something for the valves to screw into but instead he mounted them like the pic. Is that ok? https://imgur.com/a/TP3y63t

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: