Knocking in Pipes

Old 06-04-01, 06:54 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Question

In the pipes in behind my shower wall Im getting knocking in the pipes every 4 minutes. This happens with the water turned off or on. This problem just started about a week ago. I remodeled this bathroom a year ago. I put in the 1 foot pipes as air chambers. I always had some rattling when I turned the hot water on and then off, but know it rattles and the water is not even on. Please help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-01, 11:55 AM
P
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
sorry to inform you but the air chambers are worthless after you flush the toilet a couple of times. The air is quickly replaced by water. You will need to secure all pipes where there is no movement but room for expansion on the hot side. (less than a 1/16th of an inch will do).
also get yourself a water pressure test guage and check your street pressure (before the prv) and after the prv.
your house pressure should not exceed 80 psi. if it does replace or install a new prv. you may want to consider addressing thermal expansion via a watts 530-c as well.
this should calm things down.

Old 06-05-01, 07:20 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm sorry but im not to familiar with the terms.
What is the prv and also since my bathroom is tiled will i need to go behind the shower to do any work?

Thanks again.