Mounting of Closet Flange

Old 06-04-01, 10:03 AM
D
Dino
Visiting Guest
Wink

Can anyone confirm what I beleive is the correct way to install the closet flange? This will be a new construction bathroom with slate tile thinset over 1/4" backer board anchored to a 3/4" plywood T&G subfloor. I am intending to mount the closet flange ON TOP of the finished slate tile. The only thing I am concerned about is the fact that the tile will not be as precisely level and flat as the backer board or plywood would be. Would it make more sense to provide a more solid "base" for the closet flange to set on made of backer board or mortar?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-01, 12:02 PM
P
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
the flange should be fine over the finished floor(recommended) just anchor it down when it is set
and grout your toilet. you dont want any movement.

Old 06-04-01, 01:37 PM
D
Dino
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Old 06-04-01, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumguy,

Why do you recommend grouting the toilet tp the floor? If the toilet ever needs to be pulled, it will not be easy with it grouted to the floor, tub and tile caulk is the better way to do this, don't you think? Would make for an easy removal if needed in the future.

Old 06-04-01, 06:45 PM
P
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
good point plumber 2000,tub and tile caulk would work fine.
I just recommended an overkill solution because the person mentioned that the floor would be unlevel and I didnt know how much. maybe some shims in conjunction with the caulk if needed huh?

Old 06-04-01, 08:09 PM
If the floor is that far off then the floor should be fixed prior to the new finish floor goes on, but I don't think the floor will be that far off, sure slate is not totally flat and level, maybe a dry fit of the toilet on the flange before the final setting to see if the base sets pretty much level on floor, I've set a toilet on slate once and it set nicely with no rocking, sure there was small areas at the base of the toilet that the gaps were more open then others, but after final setting and nicely caulked, it looked good.

Old 06-04-01, 08:30 PM
P
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
he might want to be sure to use a flush fit flange as well

Old 06-04-01, 08:42 PM
Enlighten me on the flush fit flange, is there a differance in sytle of flanges, I deal mostly in abs schd 40 closet flanges, I know these has a slight tapper at the inner edge of the closet flange rings bottom side, are there flanges that don't have this tapper?

Old 06-05-01, 07:02 PM
P
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
yeah there is , But I have no idea why some have the bevel
on the underside where the collar meets the flange. if you dont pay attention your flange will be sticking up a sixteenth of an inch.I just ask for a flush fit and it doesent have that.

Old 06-05-01, 09:19 PM
The perfect holesaw size is 5" but these are a bear to hold tight to the floor, one can get hurt fast, those hole-hogs have plenty of power behind them. Loose your train of thought using these and they can whip you before you can blink.