Noisy water meter

Old 06-04-01, 01:22 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shortly after moving into my newly built house last year, the water meter started making a knocking noise when water was running. The knocking got louder as the water volume increased.

The water company came out and swapped out the meter, which stopped the knocking. The guy who did the swapping said that most of the meters knock, and that the new one might start knocking after a while. Sure enough, nine months later and now the new meter is knocking too.

I have lived in a number of houses of various ages and never had a meter knock like this. Is my water company just using cheap meters, or is something else wrong? Is this normal behavior for a modern water meter, or should I be nagging my water company to replace it again?

If this is normal meter behavior, is there some way to dampen the noise? When the house is quiet, the knocking can be heard everywhere - the pipes seem to make a very efficient sound conductor.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-01, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's the city you need to deal with, call them back out, I would, all that money you spend each month for the water, it won't cost you anymore to complain, and maybe even get a good working meter this time around.