Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

can utility sink in basement be connected to water line for clothes washer?

Old 11-27-19, 10:27 AM
D
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts

I have assembled a two-tub sink in the basement of a rental property; the sink is installed in a cabinet made for a sink. I have not yet installed a faucet in the sink. I have a never-used faucet that was purchased a few years ago from IKEA for use in a different rental property but was never used there. The attached photo shows the two water (cold and hot) lines that came with the faucet; they are 1/4" inner diameter. And, as the photo shows, the two tubes are very close together.

The basement has a clothes washer. Of course, the basement has the garden hose type water line hookups for the washer. If possible, I would like to split the hot and cold clothes washer garden hose lines and use the additional lines to supply the sink faucet. I would rather do that then try to connect to the copper water supply lines in the basement. What i need to know is whether I can find adapters that will allow connecting these lines (the garden hose lines for clothes washer) to the hot and cold 1/4" water supply tubes for the faucet.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-19, 12:34 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
What i need to know is whether I can find adapters that will allow connecting these lines (the garden hose lines for clothes washer) to the hot and cold 1/4" water supply tubes for the faucet.
From the picture, I can not make out the type of connection on the faucet.

Old 11-27-19, 12:52 PM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Old 11-27-19, 01:19 PM
D
Marq1, I've attached another photo. Does it help?

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-19, 01:26 PM
D
manden, that looks like it will work. Thanks for posting a link to it. I'll order one to confirm it works. If it does, I'll order another one. Or, rather than order from Amazon, I'll visit a local home improvement store and see whether they have it; this would make returning the item easier if it does not fit.

Edit: Since the two 1/4" inlet pipes are so close together, I'll have to bend them to get one of those couplers on each of the pipes. But, I believe they can be bent to make this work.

Last edited by dderolph; 11-27-19 at 01:47 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 11-27-19, 04:00 PM
D
I have not had a chance to go the property where this work is ongoing since posting this topic. But,I have looked again at the faucet and supply tubes that came with it and I see that the tubes appear to be 3/8" O.D. (outer diameter). So, I will need something like Litorange 2 Pack Lead Free Brass W10685193 Dishwasher Swivel Gooseneck Elbow Hose Fitting, 3/4" GHT by 3/8" Inch Compression.

Old 11-28-19, 06:26 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Just a thought: since it's a basement and possibly lower than the plumbing, does the washer, and will your sink, need a special arrangement to pump water up to the outgoing pipes?

Old 12-03-19, 05:33 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I think you might be thinking about this backwards.

The main water pipes (likely 1/2") should split to a washing machine connection

and also to the sink with standard shutoffs.

The sink shutoffs have a 3/8" compression fitting on them that go to your faucet. Nowadays, most people use the braided flexible lines, but the solid lines on your faucet are fine as long as you are careful to not kink them.

You shouldn't be trying to adapt the 3/8" line to the washing machine. It will take forever to fill, and newer machines will probably error with a 'low water pressure' error.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: