Installing new or extending existing black poly main

Old 12-11-19, 09:58 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing new or extending existing black poly main

I am in the middle of installing drain tile in my basement also moving the utility room from one end to the other. From my cistern is a 1.25 to 1.5" outside diameter black poly line. No markings on the line at all to know what type it is. I would like to splice it and move to a different location in the house but I cant identify the pipe. Also considering putting a new line in between cistern and house. Is there a way of doing this without trenching? My cistern is buried and the distance from it to the new location is less then 20'. I'm assuming the bottom of cistern is close to my foundation.
Any help identifying pipe or suggestions are appreciated. House was built in 1993.

Old 12-11-19, 07:17 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 307 Posts
If it's black poly, it's easy to splice with a barbed fitting and two hose clamps. Though they make plastic fittings, I'd definitely recommend a brass or stainless barbed coupler. Then it's just a matter of finding the right size, probably 1" (pipe sizes are ID).

For a 20' run, you might want to just re-pipe it beginning to end. There are some tools that will pull a new pipe through, but for 20', it will almost definitely be cheaper just to dig. How deep is it? What state are you in - for frost depth?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: