Shut off valve that controls outdoor spigot is dripping

Old 12-21-19, 07:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shut off valve that controls outdoor spigot is dripping

I have the valve that shuts off the water going to the outdoor spigot in my basement. Valve is shut off to stop the water flow to the outdoor spigot to avoid water tubing freezing since we are in winter. The valve is continuously dripping slightly. It's not too bad, but it's continuous. Should I try removing the valve stem and replace the whole stem and washer with something like BrassCraft multi turn valve stem repair kit at home depot that costs under $3? I've never done removing valve stem, but it doesn't seem that difficult. Your thoughts and advises please?

Name:  v1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  v2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  26.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-21-19 at 08:05 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 12-21-19, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
That is a CPVC stop valve with drain plug. I posted a link below of what it is.
I didn't check for rebuild kits for them.
I found a link that said Depot had them. I couldn't find that exact style at depot.

King Bros CPVC stop valve

Have you tried tightening that big nut up very slightly ?

Old 12-21-19, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Cpvc parts are so cheap and easy to replace that I'd probably just cut the old one off and glue in the new valve that Pete linked to. After shutting off and draining the water of course.

Old 12-21-19, 09:28 PM
B
I just tighten up the nut up slightly in the center of valve. It turned which I found to be somewhat interesting. I'll check in the morning. Hopefully, the dripping will be gone.

In case I have to replace CPVC stop valve from the amazon link, what do I use to cut of the existing valve, and what glue do I use to glue on the new? Thank you for your advises.

Old 12-21-19, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I use ratchet style for larger pipe and or brittle.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...-1-64_1000.jpg

Old 12-21-19, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Regular for pex quick cuts, but I do and can cut for larger cpvc...

Old 12-22-19, 09:02 AM
Received 108 Votes on 95 Posts
what glue do I use to glue on the new?
Use CPVC cement and be sure to use the correct primer first.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-...0234/203561639

Old 12-22-19, 09:40 AM
B
Ok, I checked after about 12 hours passed since tightening that nut in the center of the valve. It has definitely reduce the dripping, but with a flash light I can see that water is still slightly sipping out from thread where the valve stem goes in. Is there anything else I can try before replacing the shut off valve?

Old 12-22-19, 10:23 AM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
Shut the water off.
Remove the nut.
Move any o-rings around check for nicks etc.
Coat the O-rings with grease
Re-install.

If you have to install a new valve I would just use hacksaw to cut it.
Unless you feel you will be doing more work on the plumbing.
Just clean it up nicely with sandpaper inside and out.
But then I am cheap and hate buying a too when I doubt that it will never get used again.

Old 12-22-19, 11:12 AM
B
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks. That makes me think it will be easier to trying replacing the valve stem before replacing the shut off valve. I'll order the valve stem from the amazon link Pete linked to, and remove the valve stem from it and install it onto my existing valve and see if that makes difference. If it doesn't then, it seems like I'll have to cut the existing valve and put on the new. Hopefully, it will work.

Old 12-22-19, 02:18 PM
B
What do you think about replacing the CPVC shut off valve with shark bite shut off valve which may be easier to replace due to no need for priming and cementing. However once I cut the exiting valve, what do I do in case if I don't have enough length of the tube to insert the shark bite shut off valve? It doesn't look like I'll have enough space to use coupling which would the same if I were to use CPVC shut off valve?

Name:  v5.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  v6.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  26.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-23-19 at 06:10 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 12-22-19, 02:45 PM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
You need an inch at each end.

Also may be a bit of a pain to get the glue off the pipe.

Old 12-22-19, 04:13 PM
B
Yes, that means I will not have enough length on both ends when I cut the existing valve. That's what's going to screw me either with a shark bite or a new CPVC valve.. As for the getting the glue off the pipe, should I trying sanding off the glue (I think glue is CPVC cement...). It makes me think if I don't get the glue off from the pipe, that could create very small water sipping holes when the shark bite bites, or create a similar problem for putting on a new CPVC valve. That's why I'm hoping replacing the valve stem will solve my problem.

Or, how about if I just wrap teflon tapes right on the valve stem as a possible temporary stop for water dripping from the valve stem? When winter ends, I think that would make it a little easier to repair this kind of problem.

Old 12-22-19, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
This isn't as hard as you are making it. Get a cpvc shutoff. Get 2 feet of 1/2" pipe. Get a 90 degree elbow, and a 1/2" coupler just in case. Primer and cpvc glue. Cut it off somewhere to the right of the elbow and glue it all back together starting with the shutoff. This is literally a 5 minute job once you have the parts.

Old 12-23-19, 02:58 PM
B
It's kind of interesting. The shut off valve has been nice and dry since about last night. All I did was finagle it by pulling out the stem and re-seating the stem, and gently tightening the nut all the way, and after that it dripped for several hours (5 to 7 hours), and the dripping seemed to have gotten gradually less in amount, and now the drippings seems to have stopped. The stop of dripping seems to have lasted about 17 hours so far. Is there any remotest possibility that stop of dripping could be due to any freezing in the water tube going out to outside spigot because I had to shut off and drain before finagling with the shut off valve stem, and some water went out the outside spigot yesterday during about 2 PM when the temperature was warmest. I'm in Maryland, and the temp during the today went up to about 51 degrees during today. Regardless, my best bet seems to be to do nothing until the winter ends if no further dripping is noticed as I continue to monitor.

Last edited by BeingCareful88; 12-23-19 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-23-19, 04:13 PM
D
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Regardless whether you use CPVC or Sharkbite, I would replace existing with a 1/4 turn ball valve shutoff. They tend to be more reliable than gate valves.

Old 02-16-20, 04:11 PM
B
The CPVC shut off valve dripped water again yesterday after holding dry for almost two months, and then stopped dripping by itself and it's dry today. I suspect that the valve is beginning to wear out, and when the water pressure going to the valve increases it drips water, and when water pressure decreases, it stops dripping. It may perhaps hold like this with occasional dripping for a long time...??

If I'm going to cut out the CPVC valve, I would like to replace it with a sharkbite 1/4 turn ball valve, but my problem is that CPVC valve is 2.25" long, and after I cut, I'll have 2" of pipe at the top of the cut, and only 0.8" at the bottom. So I don't think I'll have enough insertion depth at the bottom. I may have to further cut to cut out the CPVC glue on the pipe if the glue will get in the way of sharkbite teeth and possibly cause leaks. The builder has designed the pipe so short where they installed this CPVC valve. What do you think overall?

I should try easier options before cutting, and I'm not sure if there's a O ring seal under the stem, and some stems on the CPVC valves are designed to not come out.

Old 02-16-20, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
turn off water to home
Drain pressure off
Loosen that nut on valve to expose valve stem.
wrap teflon tape around valve stem to act as packing. 5 times or so.
Tighten nut back up. leak should stop.

Old 02-17-20, 09:43 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 177 Posts
If it were me, I would just cut the CPVC pipe at the bottom of the old valve and on the horizontal section at the top. Get a new piece of CPVC pipe, elbow, and 2 couplers and redo that little "L" section around a new valve. At that point, I'd probably use a threaded brass valve, but would be happy using a SharkBite valve too.

Sometimes it's easier to just cut it all out and start over.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: