Installing a washing machine but have no outlet box

Old 01-12-20, 06:55 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a washing machine but have no outlet box

I recently purchased a property and the basement was completely dry walled. Thus I have no idea what is above the ceiling or behind the walls. What I was interested in doing is installing a washer and dryer but of course the hot and water lines must be available behind wherever it is that I choose to install the washer. I also dont want to tear open drywall every which way to find the water lines. Where my water heater is installed they left the ceiling exposed and i can clearly see the water line for cold that enters the water heater and right above that is the plumbing for the kitchen and the bathroom is a few feet away as well. So I'm guessing I can just follow those lines. I also purchased a walabot to see if that would help and I think it will. Next to my water heater there is also a drain PVC pipe sticking out which would work for the drainage of the machine. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-12-20, 07:04 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That is the layout of my house I was also thinking on the main floor behind the bathroom just before the mud room that's where my bathtub and sink water lines are located. There is a perfect area there big enough for the washer and I would also have drainage access as well

https://imgur.com/0iHEQmA
Name:  house.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  41.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-12-20 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 01-15-20, 06:21 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You'll probably end up tearing out some drywall to find the water lines. You can guess where they are based on the kitchen/bath, but you won't know until you get in the wall. Then you'll need to figure out how to get the pipes from the mains to the washer.

For the drain, you'll need to get to a main drain. A washer standpipe requires 2" pipe, so you need to find a 2 or 3" pipe to drain into. Alternately, you can connect to a 1.5" drain pipe, but you'll need to use a laundry tub. The washer would drain into the tub/sink.

You'll also need to vent the drain up through the roof, which is usually a challenge. Some areas allow AAVs, but they are usually recommended only as a last resort.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: