Is trenchless pipe bursting safe? conflicting recommendations

Old 01-14-20, 02:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is trenchless pipe bursting safe? conflicting recommendations

A camera inspection has revealed that our cast iron sewer pipe under the slab of our house is cracked.

I have gotten conflicting reports from the plumbers who have quoted me. Two are telling me that they will do a burst pipe trenchless solution. While one vehemently stated that you should not do this repair under a slab as it is too dangerous.

Are there factors that indicate a suitable candidate for burst or a bad candidate.

The pipe length to be replaced is about 12 feet buried about 3-4 under ground.

edit: 3-4 ft

Last edited by MrSmithNV; 01-14-20 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-14-20, 02:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 969 Votes on 890 Posts
How deep is the pipe below the concrete floor? Is that the 3-4 your mentioned?

Pipe bursting close to floor may cause cracking. They are pulling a torpedo through the pipe bursting it from the inside out and it pushes the old pipe outwards. Either the ground will compress or it will push up, possibly cracking the floor if it is close. If your drain pipe is 3-4" below the concrete then I'd look for a different method. If the pipe is 3-4' below the slab then I'd fee comfortable with the bursting method.

Another option is to have your existing pipe lined. They pull a resin soaked "sock" liner through the pipe. Then they inflate it against the inside of the existing pipe. The resin cures forming a smooth waterproof lining inside your old pipe.

Old 01-14-20, 03:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot, that's useful to know. Yes, it's 3-4 ft not inches.

I am more concerned about structural weakness that might show up a couple of years down the line. If something happens immediately, then surely the company doing the repairs will take care of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: