New vanity plumbing advice - waste pipe too low

Old 01-18-20, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New vanity plumbing advice - waste pipe too low

I consider myself a smart and capable person, but this is making me feel really dumb and the kind folks at the blue and orange stores are no help.

I need to raise this waste pipe coming from the wall about 6" to line up with the opening in a new vanity. Then I need to figure out what parts are required to land at the sink. Existing plumbing is 1.5" and the sink drain appears to be 1.25". How would you do it?

I don't want to build an S trap, so the current best idea I've got is to cut out the tee and move it up, but I don't know how that pipe is secured above (if it all). There's a bathroom above and then I believe out to the roof.

Attached Images  

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-18-20 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-20, 05:54 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Please provide some pictures so we can better see what you have. As far as the 1 1/4" drain, that's no problem at all. 1 1/2" PVC P-traps come with the proper sealing washers for either 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" tailpieces coming from the sink. A bathroom vanity typically will have a 1 1/4" tailpiece while a kitchen sink drain will have a 1 1/2" tailpiece, but the same P-trap is used for both.

Old 01-18-20, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
Cut that elbow off and replace it with a SJ adapter. Your vanity will get cut as needed to slip over it. Your tailpiece and trap will be a slip joint kit like casual Joe said.

Old 01-18-20, 05:58 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Not sure why, but the picture wasn't there when I first viewed the post. Don't know if anyone else is having problems with this site, but I noticed yesterday I couldn't get into it at all and now I can get in, but see some huge differences. I am also getting a message to clean my local browser, but don't have a clue exactly what that means or how to do it.

Anyone else having problems?

Old 01-18-20, 06:00 PM
Cutting the 90 is no problem, but I also need to raise this about 6". It seems like replacing the tee is the only option, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing it

Old 01-18-20, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
You dont have to raise it..!!

Why are you saying this??? Its at the correct height already

Old 01-18-20, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
I dont know why you think you need to raise it. Its likely at the correct height. Cut a hole in the back of your vanity and make it work. Do you have a shelf or something that would prevent it from working?

Old 01-18-20, 06:08 PM
Yes, there is a drawer in the new vanity that is very much in the way. Also the height may have been OK with the original vinyl flooring, but there was 3/4 plywood and 3/4 hardwood put down since then that makes this even lower (relatively).

Old 01-18-20, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
. .

Attached Images  
Old 01-18-20, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
You will need to shorten the drawer. Cut off the elbow that is on there, and elbow it straight to the left or right... whichever way it needs to go. This will all be behind the drawer. Then elbow it out perpendicular to the wall with the trap adapter on the end.

Old 01-18-20, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Your opening a can of worms .. It can be done if you must. But the height is no issue as you can reach the sink drain with a tail piece extension.

I would rather modify the drawer which we do all the time..

Old 01-18-20, 06:34 PM
Here's a really blurry picture of the vanity in question. https://imgur.com/DEOnxkm

The height of the current pipe is 17" AFF (below the bottom drawer), and the trap from the sink side would come out in the neighborhood of 22-23". I'd have to not only modify the drawer, but also the back and bottom of the vanity, too.

Is moving the tee that much trouble?

Old 01-18-20, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
You need to cut out tee and get new tee. Glue pieces of pipe into each end. Cut and size accordingly to fit in the space you cut out, but do so in a way to achive the height and direction you want to go.

Since this new piece needs to fit tight and exact with the no hubs you need to roll them back. You need to have the cut of the pipe pretty darn straight. ( No hubs dont give you lots of room especially when you cut on an angle).

JPerks voted this post useful.
Old 01-18-20, 08:10 PM
Today I learned about no-hubs. Thanks! With this, I think my new stack would be (from top to bottom):

existing 3"
3" no-hub
new 3" pvc
3x3x1.5 sanitary tee - 1.5 - elbow - 1.5 - SJ trap adapter
3" pvc
3" coupler
existing 3"

Depot doesn't carry no hubs in store. Would one of these be acceptable in it's place?

Old 01-19-20, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
No coupler. you will need two no hubs..

no that fernco is no good.. should use the no hud as that is what code as I know it dictates.

I dont think that sink drain is to code anyway as there is no vent... What comes down that 3" from above? Anything drain into it from above?

Lowes has them AFAIK...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-3-in...ngs/1000075375

Old 01-19-20, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Old 01-19-20, 05:57 AM
Ah there they are. Thanks. The search functions on their sites are pretty bad.

There's a bathroom above, so I'm guessing the whole thing drains down through here. I believe it continues through to the roof. Does that change anything?

Old 01-19-20, 08:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
There's a bathroom above, so I'm guessing the whole thing drains down through here. I believe it continues through to the roof. Does that change anything?
It's not currently code compliant to wet-vent between floors (venting through a draining stack), but it was presumably compliant when it was installed - so unless you're completely redoing the bathroom or plumbing, I probably wouldn't bother with re-venting it.

If it were my bathroom, I'd do exactly as Mike laid out.

Old 01-19-20, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Yes its not to code.. Looks like someone added that sink after the fact. Its white PVC and I been a plumber 33 years. That was not allowed then and its not allowed now..

You will/can siphon water out of that trap and release deadly sewer gas in the home..

Must be vented..

At a minimum add a aav. or get a vent to the roof/attic... and tie into that stack up there. has to tie in 3ft above the flood plane of the upstairs bath..

Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 01-19-20, 11:07 AM
Did some more investigating and it actually just goes straight up and vents out of the roof. No upstairs bathroom or other fixtures connect here. Here's where I'm at: https://imgur.com/vqUqRrI