Warm water bidet next to toilet

Old 01-22-20, 03:09 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Warm water bidet next to toilet

Hi all,
I am renovating a bathroom and have plumbed for both a hot and cold water supply line at the toilet.

The purpose of the hot is to supply (along with cold, via a mixing valve) a handheld bidet spray for the toilet, such as this: bidet spray

Obviously the cold would also supply the toilet.

What is the best way to plumb this all together, and what type of mixing valve works best in this situation? Brondell makes a special valve for exactly this purpose (see here: valve), but what I don't like about it is that you have to turn off the tvalve after each use of the bidet spray, to prevent warm water from entering the toilet tank. Therefore, I think a set up that has the toilet and bidet spray plumbed separately (ie, using a T for the cold supply) probably makes more sense.

A licensed plumber will be doing all of the work, but this is so I can make sure we are using the best solution.

thanks.

Old 01-22-20, 03:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If you want a warm water bidet I would search online for a bidet faucet. With a bidet faucet the faucet and toilet are not connected so there is not concern about warm water being delivered to the toilet. It also has the benefit of not leaving the flexible hose and sprayer head pressurized all the time. A proper bidet faucet also has it's own hot and cold water supply, separate from the toilet so you don't have warm water feeding the toilet.

Another option if you want a warm water bidet is to get a bidet toilet seat. It requires an electric outlet next to the toilet but it ties into the cold water line to the toilet and the seat heats the water.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-23-20, 07:20 PM
P
Not sure I follow what you mean by bidet faucet. I won't have room for an actual bidet fixture that has a proper faucet. Is there a faucet that attaches to a wall or the vanity?

Old 01-24-20, 04:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Nobody in the US makes a bidet faucet that attaches to a wall. Most/all bidet faucets are mounted in bidets. You would have to make a enclosure, cabinet or bracket to mount one. You can also mount it in a nearby cabinet.

Old 01-24-20, 04:21 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
How far away is the hot water source for the hot end of the bidet? If it's any more than just few feet, it's a waste of time and water. An electric heated bidet as PD suggest is the proper method to provide warm water for a bidet. And you do not need a bidet seat. There are add on hot/cold "arms" that attach to the existing seat and are only $20 to $50.

With the above said, I have two bidets installed in two of my three baths. Cold water only. After just a few uses, the cold water is a non-issue.

You may want to investigate this brand...

LUXE...

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/5...web_5456991011

Old 01-24-20, 12:17 PM
P
The hot water source is right at the toilet. I had both hot and cold plumbed right to the toilet to plan for a handheld bidet spray.

Old 01-24-20, 12:32 PM
The hot water source is right at the toilet.
That's not my question. Yes you have hot water piped to the toilet. But how much of a run does that pipe have from the hot water tank? If you really want warm water in a bidet you should consider this. If it's more than 6 feet you'll have 6 feet of cold water that much be purged from that pipe through the bidet.
That calculates to .0612 of a gal. If it's more than 6 feet, say 15 feet or more to reach a second story floor from a basement, we're talking .15 gal.
Doesn't sound like much. Until you're waiting for it to purge and you're on the toilet.

Old 01-24-20, 04:55 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
you'll have 6 feet of cold water that much be purged from that pipe through the bidet.
In January, all I can say is woooo hoooooooo.

Old 01-24-20, 07:46 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
FWIW, I switched a toilet to use hot water to address "cold seat" complaints.
In winter, it IS warm (first filling) and then pleasantly heated (second filling)
Oh, in summer, the tank doesn't sweat with condensation and drip on the floor.

When showing homes for sale, I have occasionally seen a "redneck bidet" for potty-training, a T-fitting to add a sink-sprayer between the water supply and toilet.

Old 01-25-20, 05:11 AM
In January, all I can say is woooo hoooooooo.
Actually Joe it's not that bad. But the first few times when I first installed it, it did feel, well....

Considering our rest room at work has no heat at all and is located in the warehouse, the cold water at home is nothing. There have been times at work that I thought I was going to stick to the seat.

Old 01-26-20, 03:57 AM
P
Yes it's a pretty far run of pipe from the hot water heater in the basement (other side of house) to this bathroom (farthest bathroom). So I agree if you are using it first thing in the morning, you'll need to purge a lot of water before it warms up. Later in the day it should be good.

I'm also considering installing an under-sink circulation pump in this bathroom which would solve that problem, similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdA_gfau1s4

Old 01-26-20, 04:44 AM
Using a recirc pump is a possibility, but I see three problems. It's complicated plumbing, it's expensive, you must have the available power (in terms of dedicated line and 20 amp service, I would assume), and last but not least you still must "wait" for the hot water pipe to be purged of cold water. All for warm water on one's behind?
As an experienced bidet user, the cold water only option is not a problem.

A better solution is to install an instant hot water unit at the bathroom location. But you still have the problem of providing power (usually a dedicated line at 20 amps). And I'm betting an electrician to install that power line may well be cheaper than a plumber installing all that piping and valves. And it's a lot less complicated and cheaper when repair time comes.Better still is PD's recommendation from post #2. If not for that problem I would do it in heart beat. In my opinion you should re-think the hot water option.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Last edited by Norm201; 01-26-20 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 05:05 AM
Later in the day it should be good.
So you might think. But no. those exposed pipe loose heat very quickly. Within a half hour you'll feel cold water being purged. Especially if you live in a northern climate.

Old 01-27-20, 08:20 AM
P
Thanks for your feedback. All very well noted. Will report back on what we decide.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: