Plumbing rough-in ventilation

Old 01-28-20, 11:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbing rough-in ventilation

Hello team,
I am a NEW G.C. and I am trying to understand the plumbing venting idea here.
I got my plumber started the rough-in layout, but I was wondering about the plumbing vent requirements, and if I need to add more vent pipe to the system. I know that we can branch off for a vent from Sink, Washer and stack them. BUT how do I vent a floor sink and island kitchen sink.

here are my current items that I have:
  • Washer
  • Floor Sink
  • Island Kitchen Sick
  • Lavatory
  • Hand Sink
I have added a PDF to explain my thoughts about if I need to vent the floor sink and the island kitchen.
#Venting #Plumbing #Plumbing Help

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PLUMBING Q_1.pdf (1.42 MB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-20, 05:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
What is a floor sink?

Sinks in islands can be vented with a AAV, vent loop or a piped vent. You can also use larger diameter drain pipe to extend the permitted distance from the fixture to the vent.

Old 01-29-20, 10:11 AM
D
Thank you Pilot Dane!!
The island sink pipe is 2" pipe is that enough?
Floor sink, It's a mud room floor sink (kinda of like mop sink)
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Daniel P.

Old 01-29-20, 11:03 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
What you have noted as the vent, is your main stack. That will go up through the roof as the main vent. The other fixtures will need their own vents, either back-vented (connected) to the stack vent or their own vents through the roof. Specifically the bathroom sink, washer, and possibly the floor sink will need their own vents.

The island sink is usually vented with a loop vent (pic below). Some areas permit AAVs, but an atmospheric vent is preferred. I would ask the plumber what the plan is for the island vent.

I assume the floor sink has a p-trap underground (like a shower pan). It looks like its vent would be through the washer vent - so doesn't need it's own vent. (Though admittedly, I've never installed a floor sink before and not sure if it has any different requirements).

Also not in this pic, I would make sure there's a cleanout outside the building somewhere!

Old 01-29-20, 06:37 PM
D
Hello Zorfdt,
The worst would be getting the sewer smell inside the house..... right? because of no vent to it.

Add yes the floor sink has P-trap underground. I am just trying to see if I need to add a vent to it or not. because, once I pour concrete I can't create a new vent pipe.
here were I am coming from on the other part of the house my plumber did the following to a master bedroom walk-in shower refer to pic below. He created a vent just for this walk-in shower.
I am showing some picture before the vent and after adding the vent. so why he added one here and not the floor sink?
And I wondered why he didn't do the same to this floor sink.
thanks in advance.
Thanks,
Daniel P.

Attached Images   
Old 02-01-20, 12:37 AM
D
Kitchen island sink ventilation

For island kitchen sink
does this diagram make sense SEE PIC BELOW? Can this sink function well? That main vent stack is about 10" away further down and it's about 3" vent SEE PDF FILE. Do i need to feed in a vent line in this diagram?

Thanks,
dp

Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PLUMBING Q_1.pdf (1.42 MB, 15 views)
Old 02-01-20, 12:06 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Daniel, I merged your two threads since they are about the same plumbing setup.

That loop vent looks reasonable for the island sink. I assume you're having this inspected before backfilling - so they will let you know if there's anything specific they want to see.

If you don't have proper vents, you will run into slow drains and possibly traps being sucked dry.

The mop sink looks like it's vented with the washing machine vent. I don't see any issue with that.

Old 02-04-20, 06:33 AM
D
Zorfdt,
The Building inspector missed it during inspection.
The Plumber and the Inspector didn't know that was an island sink.
So when I told my plumber about it, he did this loop connection after the inspection was done, and I wonder if this will cause any issue at the kitchen sink p-trap and sewer smells starts to get in. just reminder my main 3" vent is about 10' away from the sink.

Thanks again Zorfdt

Old 02-04-20, 11:24 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Ah, gotcha. Yes, no problem with using a loop vent. It provides an atmospheric venting for the kitchen sink trap.

A vent straight up would be better plumbing-wise, but probably would not fly design-wise in your kitchen

I don't believe there's a distance limit from the loop vent to the stack. The main idea is that the trap can get fresh air from somewhere. I at least wasn't able to find any code references to it - though I don't do loop vents often.

I think you're good to go. Good luck with the rest of construction!