Identifying Basement Rough-In Pipe Stubs

Old 02-15-20, 01:35 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Identifying Basement Rough-In Pipe Stubs

I am about to begin work on a basement bathroom. The bathroom was roughed in when the house was built. Before I begin, I need to know what each pipe stub is for. In the attached picture there is a 2" pipe (closest in picture), then a 3" pipe, and then what looks like the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Against the wall is a waste pipe with cleanout.
I am assuming the 3" pipe is for the toilet. And I assume the bucket is a large cutout for a tub drain, with room for hardware/trap etc. I can't seem to figure what the 2" pipe is. Do you think a drain for the vanity sink? It can't be a vent, since there is no connection in the ceiling above. I had planned to just to drain the vanity sink into the pipe along the wall (which already has a sink from a bar draining into it), and put a vent under the sink.
Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-20, 03:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 329 Posts
The 2" could be for a sink drain. I think you are correct that the 3" is for the toilet and the bucket is probably for the tub/shower. The next big thing will be to look at the ceiling for a plumbing vent. You will need a proper vent. You can get away with a AAV for just a sink but it won't fly for a full bath.

Old 02-16-20, 06:17 AM
B
I'm actually not planning on making it a full bath, no shower. I'm planning on putting a wall between that toilet stub and the bucket. So I don't think a vent will be necessary right?
Assuming that 2" is for a sink drain (I can't imagine what else right?) wouldn't it be fine to just run a pipe to that waste pipe coming down the wall and avoid the floor pipe altogether?
Thanks for the help!

Old 02-16-20, 02:47 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 52 Posts
It's strange to not have a vent ready to go. All bathrooms require a 2" vent, with or without a shower/tub.

I was thinking the pipe running up the wall could be the vent, but it looks like 2" out of the floor reduced to 1.5". What is connected to that pipe?

Old 02-16-20, 03:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
The tub/shower doesn't make any difference in your need for a vent. You can get away with an AAV for only a sink but a toilet needs a proper vent.

Old 02-17-20, 06:39 AM
B
I think we're talking about two different things here. When I said I didn't need a vent since there's no shower, I meant no vented exhaust fan. Don't you think that pipe going up the wall is the vent? It is 1.5" all the way up, and that line that is connected to that pipe is the drain for a bar sink around the corner. That bar sink is vented with an AAV. I don't see any other vent pipes in the ceiling above where the bathroom will be.

Old 02-17-20, 09:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Every bathroom is required to have an opening window or a vent fan. So, even without a tub or shower you will still need to run the ducting for a vent fan.

If the pipe up the wall is 1 1/2" it cannot be used to vent a toilet. You need 2" minimum.

Old 02-17-20, 09:39 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 52 Posts
Actually, since you bring it up, most/all building codes require bathrooms to have either an exhaust vent or openable window, regardless whether they have a shower/bath (due to toilet smells).

As for the plumbing vent, you'll need a 2" vent up through the roof. The pipe with the bar sink on it would be questionable to use as a wet vent, but considering it narrows to 1.5", it's no longer code compliant.

Is there a closet above that area you could run a pipe through? You could also run the vent out the side of the house and up to the roofline, though most people don't like the look of a pipe running up the side of the house.

It's possible your local inspector might allow the current setup since that's the way the house was originally plumbed/constructed, but if they are following national codes, don't be surprised if it isn't approved. It doesn't hurt to ask though.