Any way to trace a shower water line

Old 02-27-20, 07:59 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Any way to trace a shower water line

So guys we live in a legal 2 family house and every now and then we keep having a leak problem with the standup shower which leaks downstairs in our bathroom located right under it. I always have to turn off water to the entire house whenever this happens and tired of it.

The upstairs kitchen sink runs on another line so I think the bathroom's shower, sink and toilet should be running on the same line? Whether or not is there any way we can see in the basement which line if it's one line that feeds that bathroom or the shower line itself please?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-20, 08:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 358 Votes on 328 Posts
If turning off the water to the whole house affects the leak then the leak is not in the drain piping. It's in the pressurized water supply lines, either hot or cold.

There is no definite way to just say everything in the bathroom shares the same drain line. That is how it is commonly done but sometimes it's done differently especially if there is other plumbing nearby like a kitchen sink. Regardless, learning what is on what drain line really won't affect how you find the leak.

Old 02-27-20, 08:11 AM
Received 143 Votes on 129 Posts
Sure. There are several possible ways. Look for shut-off valves that feed those areas and turn them on and off and see what does or does not work. You can also tap the piping and listen for the sound in the basement.

Old 02-27-20, 09:24 AM
M
Received 93 Votes on 88 Posts
If I understand you correctly you have a bunch of pipes in the basement that go up and you want to find out where they go.
I would do it in the morning Turn on the hot water in the shower. Then go down stairs and feel which pipe gets hot.
Then the next morning or after everything gets back or close to room temperature turn on the sinks hot water and find out which pipe gets hot.
Then do the same thing for the cold lines.

For this to work no one else in the building can be using water.

Old 02-27-20, 10:15 AM
M
Yes guys, sorry for any confusion, I want to track down which water supply lines run to that shower so we can put a valve on those 2 lines in the basement.

@Norm201
I am not seeing how to tap the piping in the shower since the shower body is inside the wall?

@manden
I can try the methods you've mentioned but will be extremely difficult as the tenants upstairs are late sleepers.

Old 02-27-20, 10:30 AM
M
Received 93 Votes on 88 Posts
You are correct that I did not know what you wanted to do.
Would it not make more sense to find and repair the leak.
Who knows how much damage this leaks is doing to the floor and it joists upstairs.
Also there is a possibility of mold.

Old 02-27-20, 11:06 AM
Received 143 Votes on 129 Posts
You need to open that wall. Is there an access panel?

Old 02-27-20, 11:38 AM
M
Well yes, every time over the years we've had this old house that there was an issue with the shower, we fix it immediately. What I am seeking is a way to shut off only the water from the basement which is going to that shower so we do not have to shut off water to the entire house.

No access panel but GREAT idea. Since I plan on changing the shower body I am guessing we could include a valve and put an access panel this time instead of always having to cut the sheet rock and tiles.

Old 02-27-20, 04:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 358 Votes on 328 Posts
If you are lucky the shower faucet wall is also a closet wall. You can cut an opening in the wall of the closet to have access to the back side of the faucet. If you make it big enough you will also have access to the piping leading to the faucet and can install shutoffs right there. That way you can work on it without having to go all the way to the basement. If the shower faucet backs up to a hallway or bedroom wall then you can get creative and use a picture or mirror to cover the access hole.

Old 02-28-20, 04:48 AM
M
Great advice, will look into it, thanks.