Leaky basement

Old 04-08-20, 10:00 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Leaky basement

Hello,

I am coming up on a year in my first home and as I prepare for spring/summer I noticed a leak in my crawlspace. My girlfriend had the hose on watering plants outside I heard some dripping and found a huge puddle of water . We moved in last June and I did not notice any issues with this as we ran the hose quite frequently although I did see some water stains on the same wall in my crawlspace so I suspect this may have been a minor leak last year. The leak is directly under where my hose is outside and I dont even know where to start. I got up all the water and have a fan going in there now but dont know how to prevent this from happening again. Please help!

Old 04-08-20, 10:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I assume you are located where you get freezing temperatures. My guess is someone left a hose attached to the outside spigot during freezing weather which caused the pipe to burst inside the house. The key to preventing it in the future is NEVER leave a hose attached during freezing weather.

You'll have to cut open the wall to find the leak and fix it. The first step is to locate the wall inside the house where the spigot's water line runs. If it's a frost proof sillcock it will be sticking into an interior wall about 12-18" before the spigot connects to the house's plumbing. If it's an old fashioned boiler type spigot then the spigot can be quite shallow and it and the house's piping would be inside the exterior wall. Once you find the actual source of the leak post back and we can help you fix it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: