Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Can I Use Wet/Dry PVC Cement With Water Flowing Through Pipe During Install?

Can I Use Wet/Dry PVC Cement With Water Flowing Through Pipe During Install?

Old 04-12-20, 05:17 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can I Use Wet/Dry PVC Cement With Water Flowing Through Pipe During Install?

Greetings. I had a green ~5.5" PVC drain pipe buried that captures rain from a hill and diverts it away from the house. I have about $100 in expensive fittings to go from the 5.5" green drainpipe to standard 6" white PVC pipe and then to a 6" wye. It is a muddy spring and there is a food deal of water flowing down the pipe (at least the equivalent of a full 3/4" pipe at any given time). I have a massive trench project I need to complete and that water will not stop flowing in the pipe will the heat of summer. I really cannot wait that long.

I tried a dry fit but of course the water leaks out of the hub and I cannot tell if the water is flowing out of either of the 6" wye outputs evenly as the water goes through the unglued hub. I have to cement the pieces together to stop the water flow. That being said, given the amount of water flowing through it, will a wet and dry PVC cement work for a permanent, water-tight bond? I really don't want to drop $100 on another 6" wye and adapter fittings if I mess up. I can be quick on the install, but will the cement set up that fast upon contact that it will prevent water from permeating into the "wet" joint and ruining the seal? Any and all input would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-13-20, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Might be worth a try but buy a cheap loaf of bread and stuff it in pipe. It will stop flow of water and will degrade over time so water will flow again. I use this trick when soldering copper when water trickles.

Old 04-13-20, 11:17 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 157 Posts
The wet rated cement should set up when wet, but if the water is trying to get 'out', it can cause the seal to leak. But then again, a few drips underground really shouldn't hurt anything.

I was going to recommend an inflatable test ball, but they seem to be pretty expensive for that size. A loaf of bread might actually work well enough!

Another option - have you considered a rubber coupling? No cementing required and might be cheaper than whatever fittings you are planning.

Old 04-15-20, 07:56 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far. Maybe a loaf of bread would work if the flow slowed enough to keep the hub area dry for 30 seconds while the cement sets up. After the rain a few days ago there was literally 2" of water flowing out of the pipe's end! It has since reduced in flow and I will look in another 3-4 days to see how much it has slowed. I like the rubber ball idea and was thinking about that...as I could pull it through one of the two smaller 4" outlets off the 6" wye when done. I don't know about costs, but I will search it. I am thinking maybe I could load up enough of a bead of plumbers putty bead towards the innermost part of the hub that when I push the hub over the pipe, that little or no water could make it into the cemented hub area. So long as after the first few seconds when the connection is solidifying (IE: I cannot turn or push the pipes apart anymore as the glue has set up) I don't have to worry about water anymore, I think I am all set. I just need to stop the flow of water long enough to apply primer (may not be necessary) and wet and dry cement, then slip the hub over the pipe and have it set up for a few moments. I will look into the bread and inflatable ball ideas but if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me kno2w! Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: