water pressure tank

Old 06-11-01, 12:28 PM
G
Visiting Guest
I have an old style water pressure tank. I start to run the water and right away the pump kicks on. I'm on a well. I think the tank is water logged. I would like to know how to reset the tank. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-01, 01:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Turn off or unplug the pump, and just drain the tank down to no more than a third full of water.
If that doesn't solve the problem, you may need to replace the air volume control on the tank.
Good Luck!

Old 06-11-01, 01:51 PM
G
Visiting Guest
how old is it?

Its not worth fooling around with it if your not sure what you are doing!!
Its just as easy to replace instead of trying to find out if its water logged if it is you then must realize the only way for water to get behind that bladder is how?
exactly the baby is pinholed good luck save your money and time and replace the bad boy!

MJ
Boston Plumber

Old 06-11-01, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

MJ,
scottlakesteve says he has the "old style water pressure tank" (which I take to mean a hollow galvanized tank with an external air volume control), apparently not the newer internal bladder type. (I've had both.)
He should be able to drain that old type down and/or replace the air volume control. Those old types do tend to get water-logged over time.
I agree with you about just replacing a bladder type tank, however. As you said, once the bladder starts leaking, it's a goner.
Glad to see another pro plumber in here (I'm definitely NOT a pro, just a D-I-Yer).
steve,
If your old galvanized tank develops a pinhole in the metal shell, replace it with a bladder type tank.
Good luck!

Old 06-11-01, 05:48 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Sir; Before anyone could give you blind advice it is important to ask you a few questions. #1-You said old style tank, might I assume you mean a galvanised tank. # 2 - Do you have a deep well with a submersable pump? If this is the case you have three things to check,besides a leak in the tank which you could no doubt see. IF the pump comes on as soon as you turn on a valve, YES, it is water logged. # 1 there is a shrader valve- like a tire valve - in the check valve, If this valve is stopped up it will not let air into the drop pipe, which then is pumped into the tank when the pump comes on # 2 There is a float valve in the side of the tank; old guy refered to it, I believe; This float valve lets excess air out of the tank.Find shrader valve, drain some water out of tank when pump shuts off you should be able to hear air being drawn into the shrader valve. to clean this valve make pump run and with a small point of a pen or etc. push the pin in the center of the valve down it should spray water,WHEN the pump is running. if this does not let air in then you have a probl;em down in the well at the drain hole or a valve about twenty feet down.This is the air volume control system OLD GUY referd to.SINCE YOU CAN'T COMPRESS WATER YOU HAVE TO COMPRESS AIR ON TOP OF THE WATER. GOOD LUCK JOHN.