Shower drain has sewage type smell

Old 06-14-20, 02:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain has sewage type smell

Moved to a condo , lower floor of two floors . Nice condition , about 20 years old . We have one issue -There are two baths back to back , one gets a sewage like egg smell now after a shower . There's no p-trap when I look down the drain , just heads thru the slab towards the second bath . Drain just has a bit of gunk in it , bleach and white vinegar/baking soda have both had just a short temporary mix . There are a number of mixtures to put use , Zep , Oxi-Clean etc. Recommendations ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-20, 03:57 PM
B
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
I assume no recent construction work?
After the shower run a trickle of water down the drain, if trap has been siphoned dry a cup or two of water would refill it and should be no smell.

Since you are new you have no history to know if this has been a long term problem or not. You could check with the condo association to see if they have any prior complaints, fingers crossed.

Hopefully there is a trap a little farther down the drain and that can be inspected with a snake camers, plumber or rental. Even some shorter snake cameras at reasonable prices.

Bud

Old 06-14-20, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 906 Votes on 846 Posts
You're on the lower floor but on a slab so there's no way to see the drain lines without the use of camera snake. It sure sounds like a trap was neglected on that shower.

Old 06-15-20, 05:30 AM
B
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Do your best cleaning effort and then run some water down to flush out any gunk. Then tie a piece of cloth to a snake and send it down a few feet. If it comes back dripping wet then you probably have a trap. If no water push it further and repeat until it won't push any more.

A missing trap is one possibility or a trap without a vent can be siphoned out by water headed down the main drain. Take a look at the roof to see how many vents in that area and what size pipes they are..

Bud

Old 06-25-20, 06:19 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaned out the area I could get to without snake (in storage, have to look for it , assuming I still have it!) , most of the cleaners have to be ordered online . Lowes did have Insta Power disposal and drain cleaner , two applications and it is better , see how that goes .