Moose in the Toilet

Old 06-11-01, 04:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

My problem appeared suddenly. The water level in the toilet tank rises to a point where the float valve almost (but not quite) shuts off the valve. This sets up a loud, groaning tonal vibration in the valve assembly (the "Moose mating call") as the valve slowly shuts (20 -60 seconds).

Not sure what to do about this, so I replaced the entire assembly. Worked fine for two weeks. Then, suddenly, last night, the problem returned.

I tried adjusting the float valve by screwing the bar in tighter or lengthing it (or bending it slightly). All this does is CHANGE point at which the valve does not quite have the pressure to close (and sets up the groaning Moose call). It doesn't actually solve the problem.

Not a hard problem for one of you competent people out there to solve, I'm sure....

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-01, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its the diaphram in the valve gone bad, install a new fliudmaster 400A so you can sleep good at night.

Old 06-11-01, 06:06 PM
Visiting Guest
SIR; FROM WHAT YOU SAID; YOU REPLACED THE ASSEMBLY I assume you mean you replaced the fill vale, it doesn't make since that it is doing the same thing. At the point the water tries to shut off it is a small volume of water coming in at that time ,If you have a leak at the flapper or flush valve assm. then there is this possiblity. you have the same amount of water leaking out as you have comming in, then the fill valve will not shut off completly,it will run that little bit,just enough to make that noise. See what I mean? check flapper and flush valve, flush valve is the part that the flapper seals on, ok? Good luck John,Plumber nw Fl.

Old 06-11-01, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
all well and good

ONE MORE WRENCH TO THROUGH INTO THE WORKS MAKE SURE THE SHUT OFF IS FULLY OPEN. AND THE 400A IS A VERY SMART AND INEXPENSIVE WAY TO GO